Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AValenti
New Today: 59
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 148181

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 1
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - "Distributed" CMDB and human factor
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Distributed" CMDB and human factor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matrejekm
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: "Distributed" CMDB and human factor Reply with quote

Hello Itilers,

I am in a strange situation now.
I was hired to design and build a CMDB for an IT organisation.

After analysing I found out the org already has something I can call a distributed CMDB.
They are using several systems to track server applications data (both technical and organisational data), server infrastructure and documentation.
It seems it is not working only because there are no maintanance processes around it - the rest seems to be ok.

Have you faced such a sitatution? Strange for me is that these tools are used by over hundred people and they are discovering the wheel all the time. AND THEY ARE AWARE OF IT AND AGREE ON SUCH SITUATION! Sad but true.
I would be glad to hear this is the only one org in the world ;-(

regards,
Mariusz M.
King

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Distributed" CMDB and human factor Reply with quote

Hi,

matrejekm wrote:
They are using several systems to track server applications data (both technical and organisational data), server infrastructure and documentation.

I have been appointed as configuration manager in our company three month ago. I have found a similar situation : we have several tracking systems and inventory systems. We have also a lot of partial CI databases. A lot of people here are happy with this, but we know (or we hope so !) that we could do much better by building a Configuration Process in order to increase the accuracy and availability of the information. That's what we aim to do !

matrejekm wrote:
It seems it is not working only because there are no maintanance processes around it - the rest seems to be ok.

What is not working ? You say, everyone agrees with the situation ... Why do they need your help ? Shocked

I hope this information can be useful, even if I still a beginner Wink
Fab.
matrejekm
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi King,

I think accurracy of all data is about 40% what is very low and
simply don't allow to perform even simply changes
(part of staff seems to avoid doing changes).
But people around this tools seems to agree on this situation and don't keep data up to date even if they know what is it to change.

These are my 2 challenges - to desing and enforce processes and to bring people back from thinking the current situation is simply a must.

Regards,
Mariusz M.
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mariusz,

A couple of things...

First, I'd start by going directly to the person that hired you and asking them exactly what it is that he/she thought was needed, when the search to fill your position started. He/She and others that may have driven this person to hire obviously had a very specific set of pain points in mind that were important enough to hire a dedicated person for. I believe you need to find these pain points, in detail, and start to use them as the foundation for your requirements.

Second, you've been brought in to build a CMDB. You're already fighting a losing battle. You say that they already have a CMDB but everything you've described, above, is not a CMDB. You've described Asset Inventories, Registers, & Repositories. At its core a CMDB can track relationships between anything and everything that is important to the enterprise, not just hardware and software. You might want to reference a number of articles on the forum that specifically talk about the requirements of a CMDB. Even if you do get the ability to build a proper one, which will require a significant number of highly trained, expensive, and dedicated people you then have the problem of solving for how you will get the data into the system and manage its integrity. A huge problem, in and of itself. In order to address this issue, I recommend you start the quest of truly understanding what a real CMDB is. Once you understand this, you will realize that a great deal of what you need, they don't really have. Then you can correlate the true features of a CMDB against the requirements you were hired to solve for and start on a road of setting a strategy that will help you get to where you need to be.

PS: You will not have the resources that it takes to build a truly functional and proper CMDB. Come to this realization early and you'll be much better off because of it.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: