Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MaybellQIF
New Today: 77
New Yesterday: 63
Overall: 149751

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 6
Total: 71 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - "Run books"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Run books"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertParis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: "Run books" Reply with quote

Can someone define what a "run book" is? Previous experience gives me the impression that the general term for "run book" is documentation pertaining to steps required for a task, such as steps to run a database job, how to reboot a system, update a system with patches. This book should be detailed enough so that anyone can do a procedure regardless is she knew the system well.

Also, where would "run books" fall in the ITIL world? Configuration management, Change management?
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, sounds like the equivalent of Task / Work Instructions to me (based on Policy > Process > Procedure > Task).

As with all documentation, you could define each as a CI in configuration management I suppose (although if you are maintaining a knowledge base that includes these then I don't think I'd record each as a CI as it's duplication of work).

Not sure if that helps?
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Robert,

In the context of Service Management, a Run Book is a set of directions for what to do when you encounter an Incident, as related to a Product or Service. For example, if someone calls the Service Desk with a statement that they're seeing an error message "XYZ" while using product "ABC". The Service Desk would open up the Run Book for product ABC and look for directions on what to do if such an error message is encountered.

Run Books tend to be most common when dealing with scheduled batch processing systems. So, for example, if a batch stream fails at a specific point, the Run Book will tell you what needs to be done to address the failure and get the stream back in progress. However, even so, it is still a support document.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank
ranjithraghunathan
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the context of Service Management, a Run Book is a set of directions for what to do when you encounter an Incident, as related to a Product or Service. For example, if someone calls the Service Desk with a statement that they're seeing an error message "XYZ" while using product "ABC". The Service Desk would open up the Run Book for product ABC and look for directions on what to do if such an error message is encountered

I agree to the above and the Run Book falls under Incident Management under the ITIL components

Ranjith Raghunathan
ITIL Foundation Certified[/quote]
WendyB
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to break away here. I feel that a Run Book is actual part of Problem Management as it contains the Known Errors on the batch job. However, Incident Management interacts with Problem Management and would find the information through referencing the Known Error Database and finding the Run Book.

Hope this helps,

Wendy
ranjithraghunathan
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy - I am eager to know this in detail. Could you please elaborate if possible giving an example of implementation.

Thanks in advance Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: