Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RChisolm
New Today: 48
New Yesterday: 66
Overall: 142267

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 0
Total: 49

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Configuration - SAM - DSL - How these interact
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuration - SAM - DSL - How these interact

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynamo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Configuration - SAM - DSL - How these interact Reply with quote

Hi to all - My first post on these forums!

My question is on how Configuration Management interacts with Software Asset Management and the DSL. I would like to know how people have setup the use of the CMDB and DSL and how these 2 fit together. I would also like to know how/who updates these areas.

My take is that CI's in my CMDB will have a relationship(s) to software held in the DSL. The DSL is updated through Change Management i.e. if the software version of a product changes from version 1 to version 2. The CMDB is then automatically updated because of its relationship to the DSL.

My area of work is with Configuration Management so my knowledge on SAM is very little at the moment. We do have a process owner in place for SAM and currently have a DSL in the form of a spreadsheet.

Any advice on this area would be much appreciated and working examples of how its been successfully implemented in the real world would be great!

Thanks in advance and look forward to contributing to other topics I do have knowledge on!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you treat software as CIs then they are in the CMDB as software CIs.

The SAM process/owner should work with the Config people to make sure both sides of the software world are in harmony

There are most likely different concerns in SAM and CMDB for software

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Configuration - SAM - DSL - How these interact Reply with quote

Hello Dynamo,

Welcome aboard. Please see my response, embedded below...

Dynamo wrote:
My question is on how Configuration Management interacts with Software Asset Management and the DSL. I would like to know how people have setup the use of the CMDB and DSL and how these 2 fit together. I would also like to know how/who updates these areas.

This is not a simple question to answer. In some cases you will have loose references between the CMDB and CIs in the DSL, based on names, associated IDs, etc. In other cases, you will have path references, from the CMDB that point directly to things in the DSL. This latter one will allow you to drill into live details on the DSL, directly from the CMDB.

Quote:
My take is that CI's in my CMDB will have a relationship(s) to software held in the DSL. The DSL is updated through Change Management i.e. if the software version of a product changes from version 1 to version 2. The CMDB is then automatically updated because of its relationship to the DSL.

This will work in some cases, but not in all. Please note that you will also have to "triangulate" references and associations between the CDMB, the DSL, and your Source Code Control System, which will also contain versioned CIs and is critical for proper SW CfM.

It's true that in some cases, your Change Management process will update the CMDB but please keep in mind that there are so many other processes that will update it, too. Checking In or Out SW, building SW, distributing SW, etc. should all also update the CMDB as part of their workflow.

Quote:
My area of work is with Configuration Management so my knowledge on SAM is very little at the moment. We do have a process owner in place for SAM and currently have a DSL in the form of a spreadsheet.

SW CfM is a huge and very complicated space, this is why a CMDB, as referenced by ITIL for infrastructure purposes, is highly limited and incomplete. Be careful as you attempt to build out your solution. If you don't design it properly, you may seriously run the risk of crippling how your SW teams (both development and engineering) work.

Anyhow, I hope this information helps.

My Best,

Frank
Cekir
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamo,

Is there anything other then DSL interesting for you in the relationship between CfM and SAM?

Configuration Management and IT Asset Management (both Software and Hardware) have just different view on the same subject. Relationship between them is a long story and it is hard to talk about it without focusing on the specific area.

There is a SAM book in ITIL v2 you can read if you want to know more. you can also check ITAM best practices gathered by IAITAM or get training from them.
ranjithraghunathan
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory:

Definite Software Library is one in which original definitive authorized versions of all software CIs and source code are stored and protected.

Physical, secure library or store repository where master copies of software versions are placed

Physical versus logical software libraries

DSL may also include a physical store to hold master copies of bought in software, such as fireproof safe

Should be in several locations.

CMDB:
A database that holds logical and asset information of CIs - hardware and software.
It gives relationship of CIs, version numbers for software etc.
This is a logical versus physical store.

I am not sure how DSL can be stored in excel sheets as I read, so require some more clarification to have the idea clear.

I would put it like this: Consider a Book Library the physical shelves that have the books arranged is equivalent to the DSL and CMDB is like the index of where the books are, and details of author, version, copyright etc.
You can walk into the DSL so it is like a store house. CMDB can be accessed online as this is a record of information only. CMDB will interface into other applications used by the ITIL management groups.
DSL does not have to interface with anywhere as it is a warehouse of original software components etc.

P.S - Most of my posts are to understand the ITIL fundamentals clearly. So please excuse if not genuine answers to questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: