Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MHeinrich
New Today: 66
New Yesterday: 65
Overall: 148022

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 1
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Category - Full time equivalent split up..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Category - Full time equivalent split up..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtmurugan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: ITIL Category - Full time equivalent split up.. Reply with quote

Could someone share the strategy used while spliting up a full time equivalent's time towards each of the ITIL category?

In the above when I say ITIL Category I refer Incident Management, Problem Management, Capacity planning, Performance management, configuration management (including Change/Release management), SLA Management.

I planned to have split up as follows for the Backup support service:

Incident & Problem Management 40%
Capacity Management 10%
Release management 10%
Performance management 20%
Configuration management 10%
SLA Management 10%

For the Storage Support Service my plan is to have split up like this:

Incident & Problem Management 20%
Capacity Management 20%
Release management 10%
Performance management 20%
Configuration management 20%
SLA Management 10%

Will this split up sounds good? please advice. Thanks
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you doing this?
How many hats do you want this person to wear? If your shop is that small that you have to divide up your FTE - why bother?
*totally confused!*
/Sharon
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 1 person team.. then they will spend most of their FTE hours on Incident mgmt and incident mgmt only.

What I dont see is change mgmt

If you have a service desk/help desk/noc... you will have 1-4 people answering phones/emails/writing ticket in the system.....

then you will have 1 - n people in each it environment you support - microsoft desktop, linux desktop, mac desktop..... then the back end stuff... operating system - unix, linux, mainframe, microsoft.... then the application layer - messaging -exchange, lotus notes, etc; web services - IIS, apache, etc....; databases - SQL, mySQL, ORACLE.. etc

Or you could have 1 person who does it all badly....

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
vtmurugan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eisbergsk wrote:
Why are you doing this?
How many hats do you want this person to wear? If your shop is that small that you have to divide up your FTE - why bother?
*totally confused!*
/Sharon

Thanks for your reply.
Apologies for the confusion. Actually I would use this split up and see how my bigger size team should work. For example, if my FTE split up says 10% for one ITIL category then in my 100 member team I will have 10 FTE under that particular category. Basically I am trying to get an idea on how much % of my team would need to work under each category....Hope this clarifies you.

After posting it I realized that there can't be any specific % to each category as it would purely depends upon the nature of business I run.

If anyone has got some opinion you could still post your comments. Thanks in advance.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Like I said before

Most of your staff will be dedicated to Incident Management and the Service Desk

When the back end team solves an issue on the web site by restarting the service - incident mgmt

If the application needs a new patch or version, incident, release, config and change

If your system admin discusses upgrading the servers to 2 GB ram or 100 MB network tech, it is capacity, release config and change

If your customers complain about your lack of service to your service desk. It is incident mgmtm and service level mgmt.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
vtmurugan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John!

I understood your valid points.
However, here I am not looking at the business from the holistic perspective.Service Desk will be provided separetly than my team.
My team would spend most of the time in other activities that can be categoried as said in your example.

Regards, Murugan
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murugan,

You really can't pre-define how much time your team is going to work in different process area like this for several reasons.

First of all, because your goal should be responsiveness to business needs, which may vary. What will you do when something crashes and burn and you won't fix it because you're in your 10% Release Mgt.

Secondly, because your processes must blend in your operations, and activities like reporting are essential although they should really be vertically organized to be efficient.

Finally, and I'll stop there for the sake of this discussion, you cannot rely on any of our opinion because your needs are going to be different than others, the maturity of your processes will determine how much more time you will spend on the less organized ones, etc.

If I were you, I would simply evaluate my needs in terms of time, based on experience and projections.

I hope this helps.

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
vtmurugan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fabien for your comments.

I agree with your points.

regards,
Murugan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: