Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CNWF
New Today: 136
New Yesterday: 176
Overall: 131381

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 6
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Before adopting ITIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Before adopting ITIL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ermanu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Before adopting ITIL Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm working for a medium sized manufacturing company.
Our IT Support Department have 50+ persons.
We're responsible for all windows operating systems, network, cad/cam systems, databases etc...
we want to adopt ITIL.
The main problem is that we don't have written company policies, rules, documentation (we have some but they are general-->like if the user use it's computer for non-business purpose etc.. we don't have a rule or policy about how/when to create rules, policies, documentation) We don't have a general working process chart. I think that we need this before beginning the ITIL process.
My problem is that in order to prepare my plan I need a guide, book etc.. to understand the company environments that have this behaviour or gow to create this behaviour, where to begin.
Please advice.
Thank you
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why ?

You have already stated that there are no policies etc

so you have a blank slate

first you need to gather the 'business practices' you do have...

do you have any policies - even if they are unwritten

Data Protection
Login / password / account standards
admin rights
software allowed
etc

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually are in a good place to start because you don't have much baggage to carry over. It is a good thing. Don't be nervous about that.

You have a fairly small shop, so you may be asked to do all this on your existing time and without additional resources. That's fine too. Once you have defined a roadmap and you have an idea of where you want to go, I would try to get a consultant to establish a number of things:

- A basic assessment to confirm your directions and identify priorities to get to some primary objectives. One of your primary objectives should be to free some time off of people to get them to work with you on this initiative.

- Assistance in producing at least standard documents you will need: policy documents, process design, internal training material, etc.

- Develop a business case for the rest of your program.

This should probably be an engagement of about 20 days. Aim for about $40,000 in the US for it. But after that you will be cruising...

I shouldn't be giving this advice. I'm shooting myself in the foot...

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
ermanu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Fabien,
We're now sure that we need some consultants for our future ITIL project Smile
ermanu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,
we've some written policies and unwritten policies.
The problem is that,
we don't know much about policies, rules.
We don't have a general work policy. (I don't know if this is the correct word) no policy(process) about creating policies or rules or documentation.
like:
1-Check policy
2-check rules etc.

1-create policy
2-Create rules
3-create documentation
etc..

thank you
erman
insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what has this got to do with ITIL????
insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, posted too early....

Sounds like you have quite a bit to do before getting on to introducing ITIL-based practices.

I would look at COBIT as that will help you define the overall IT processes that you need in place. You will also then see how ITIL maps into some of them, but by no means all.

For policies, there may be some tool kits out there. For example, Surfcontrol (www.surfcontrol.com) has some sample Internet and Email usage polcies and gives you some legal guidance too.
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ermanu wrote:
Don't worry Fabien,
We're now sure that we need some consultants for our future ITIL project Smile

Very Happy Of course it's humorous but in reality, I was a PM before becoming an ITSM consultant so I know where you're coming from.

I can tell you that there is enormous value in using a consultant to get you started, especially in this area. I say 'especially in this area' because ITIL is about best practices and consultants see those in many places. So they can bring to you lots of good ideas that you wouldn't have thought of, and they can make you save a lot of time down the road. Coming up with policy documents and process designs are typically big time consuming activities.

Once the program is defined and you're on your way, your organization should be able to do the rest on its own frankly. That's why I said I'm shooting myself in the foot. Besides maybe a 'coaching visit' here and there to infuse some new ideas and help you keep your train on the tracks, that's what we're basically good at.

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: