Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: xcymquvq38
New Today: 91
New Yesterday: 154
Overall: 130989

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 4
Total: 69 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITSCM & IS Department
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITSCM & IS Department

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trouble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: ITSCM & IS Department Reply with quote

Hello,

I have started an ITSCM project and looking for some examples and experience from the wider community.

I work for the IS Department.
We are a Service Department and do not make a profit.
We currently do not have a developed ITSCM Plan and I am in the initial stages of finding the Business Critical Functions in the organisation and the Business Owners accepting this process.

From initial investigations, I know that the business and IS Management deem the IS Department as a business Critical Function.

My question: If looking at IS as a Function within the Organisation for ITSCM, what are the IS critical services?

We provide large complex systems for the Finance Function and other Functions, but these are not systems that IS need in order to keep going, or are they?

Any comments on the above would be appreciated.

P.S. I will be looking at the Finance Function and similar for the ITSCM Project.

Thx
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask yourself the following questions

what IT services can be completely unavailable and teh business can still function.

The answer is most likely none

Email
Blackberry / telephony
IP Telephony
Web services
Printing
etc

You need to first compile a list of the services that IT provides to the company (internal services only yes ?). Then find out who uses the services and who depends on the service.

Once you have that data, then you can look at the various
SCM plans - hot, warm cold.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: ITSCM & IS Department Reply with quote

Hello Trouble,

trouble wrote:
My question: If looking at IS as a Function within the Organisation for ITSCM, what are the IS critical services?

The answer to this is simply, "A Service is anything at all that is provided by IT to end users that is relied upon, by those end users, to get their jobs done and for which the end users have specific availability and support expectations."

End users can be internal businesses, internal IT teams, external clients, and sometimes even vendors who rely on things from your IT staff (like connections to things like FTP servers, Messaging Queues, etc.) so that they can provide their own services.

Typically, every product and/or system gets wrapped up and offered as a service in some, way, shape or form.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank Guerino
trouble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THank you both for the input.

I do understand your points, I need to look at IT as a service that provides something to the business (and that is what I am doing). However, I also understand that during a disaster we can not maintain all the services and need to concentrate on the critical services, both for the business and the one's IT provide.

The way I have approached it is to identify the Business Critical Functions/Services, i.e Finance, Operations, IT.

Finance will have services that they provide which include systems that IT must maintain for ITSC, as will Operations. However, I don't believe that those systems are what IT should class as 'their' critical services and we could potentially ask that Function to pay for that resilience. Those critical services would be dependent on IT services.

A couple of the critical services that I believe IT provide would be some Network Connectivity (cables, switches, etc.), electronic data management (data servers) and system support tools (i.e. Network monitoring, AD, etc.).

Now, is this the right way of looking at this? Any more.

thx
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: critical services Reply with quote

Hi,

If you wish to assess and/or classify the services based on criticality as in a disaster case , I suggest you have a look at the best practices from the Business Continuity Institute , and , as a example, start to work on Business Impact Analysis of your IT services.

IMHO, criticality of IT services should be jointly assessed with business partners: the same type of services can have different levels in different companies and IT people are rarely capable of making the right assessments alone...

Also, I feel the need to point out that ranking services from the most to the least critical ones can give different results, whether you consider (1) normal operations or (2) disaster recovery.
1) will be mostly taken care by Availability Management
2) will be mostly taken care by Continuity Management
Exapmle: in some companies email services can be considered as non critical during normal operations (4 to 8 hours outage being acceptable from a business perspective) , but are part of the Critical services to be restored first in case of a disaster: the ability to communicate to customers, suppliers, regulation bodies, press, etc... being seen as a key service in this case.

My advise would also be to work on "business vision" of a service: Aplication X or serveur Y , networks, ... are not necessarily to be considered as a service. I would rather try to work on IT service definitions that are aligned with business processus and encompass various service componants.

regards
JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: