Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RosendoRam
New Today: 28
New Yesterday: 58
Overall: 146008

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 1
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Managers Certification - Service Support & Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Managers Certification - Service Support & Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
Dear Hi LizGallacher & UKVIKING
from what I gather you are both have passed your practitioner exams , so possibly can answer my questions on advise.
I am working an Incident and Porblem Manager for relatively small organizationand would like to move on to Service Support role as sucjh will require red badge .
I know I can just seat practitioner exams without attending 5 day course ( I have to pay myself it's around 1500) at open exam centres for about 150 . I have purchased Service support book and currently going through it to gather some theoretical knowledge as from practical knowledge point of view I have no issues but was wondering is you can advise on format of the exam or where I cand-load sample mock tests etc .
thanks
onore
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and I have both passed the Manager exam. I personally have not sat any Practitioner exams, although I do teach them, as the Managers is the higher certificate.
To correct you - you cannot sit the Practitioner exam without attending a course. You have to be entered by an accredited training organisation. The exam is part multiple choice, part written answer, and is sat at the end of the course. The course itself has a lot of group work, and some mock exams.
The only exam you can sit without a course is the Foundation. I presume you have this qualification. It is a pre-requisite for any other certificates.
It would be difficult to see the value of downloading the written questions, as they need to be marked by someone else.
Hope this helps
Onore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
many thanks for the response ..I am facing a dilemma with these 2 exams -Practitioner and Service Manager ones ..
I'm ultimtely interested in Service support , so will be aiming for red bage but not sure whether there is any benfit og sitting practitioner exams at all ..( knowing that Service Manager exms are harder - what would you suggeste to go through if I go straight to Service Manager course\certificate ..
thans,
Onor
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onore,

Keep in mind that the focus of the Service Manager course and that of the Practitioner courses are different. I received my Service Manager cert and then started teaching the Incident/Problem/Service Desk and Config/Change/Release courses.

You would think that having passed the Service Manager course that I would be an instant expert in the Practitioner Level courses. This is not the case.

The Service Manger course consists of 10 days of classroom training to cover the 10 ITIL processes, plus some time spent on the Service Desk and Security Management. Of course the required home study is VERY great. Do not expect to pass the Service Manager test without reading all of both Service Support and Service Delivery books. But still, the amount of time focused in on each process in class is very limited due to the time constraints.

Compare that to a five day course where you go into incredible detail on the how-to's of Incident/Problem/Service Desk. I have spent days, when training, doing nothing but talking about how the Incident Process and the Service Desk interact. Or how Incident Management and Problem Management exchange information. Or how the Service Desk supports the Problem Management process. (I really did love doing that by the way)

I have heard stories of people who sit the Service Manager test and fail because they have passed Practitioner level courses and try to put to much detail into the essay style questions posed on the Service Manager test.

I am not saying that there is not value in both the Service Manager and the Practitioner courses, but they do have different focuses.

The Service Manager is designed for someone who wants the holistic view of how all the ITIL aspects work together. The Practitioner course is the nose-to-the-grindstone detail level of how a few select aspects function and interact.

Which is best for you? I can't say. Think about where you want to go with your career. You say that you want to focus on Service Support, which lends weight to the Practitioner courses. But do you think you can be effective in the Service Support processes without understanding the interactions with Service Level Management or Availability or Capacity management?

Of course I want to be an expert in it all, but that has nothing to do with my career path. It has more to do with my being an ITIL Evangelist.

Just think about what you want to achieve, and then plan your training path appropriately.

Don
Onore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dboylan (Don)
Many thanks for your time and expert advise .
I have to look into whole thing from different angle now - and that would probably help me to make my mind up..
thans agan.
Onor
Onore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dboylan (Don)
With Service support in mind would one be given red badge certificate (not sure if that makes a sence ?) on successfull completion of MANAGER'S COURSE IN IT SERVICE MANAGEMENT: SERVICE SUPPORT couese ?

Thanks ,
Onor
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onor,

I don't know of any training organizations that separate the training of Service Support and Service Delivery. There are two tests, but that is more for the convenience of the person sitting the test. That way, you can pass one of the tests and only retake the one you failed.

The course (as I have seen it structured) is intended to prepare you for both exams. Having paid to learn both Service Support and Service Delivery, it would be a shame to only attempt the Service Support part of the exam.

I also don't think there would be any benefit to stating on your resume that you passed the Service Support Manager's portion of the exam. Anyone who has a deep knowledge of ITIL would simply assume that you attempted and failed the Service Delivery Manager portion.

Don
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Don. I have seen candidates attend only 1 of the manager courses, but this is usually because they cannot boo the other one in time. You cannot sit only 1 exam (unless it is a resit) and you cannot sit the exam without attending both courses. Also, each course makes more sense when taken with the other!
Even sitting 1 course, but not the exam, would mean that you could not sit the exam later (having done the 2nd course) without a huge gap in between.
Onore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz/Don,
thousands of thanks ..I now have more clear view of exams structure etc..

rgds,
Onor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: