Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LettieNei
New Today: 6
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 148128

People Online:
Visitors: 75
Members: 0
Total: 75

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - HD and CS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HD and CS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mafatee7

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: HD and CS Reply with quote

Hi all,

A large company has currently two points of contacts to the user/customers: HD (Help Desk) and CS (Customer Support). Each has some specific tasks. However, there are some conflicts between both and no clear ownership of incidents since each of them may forwrd some types of incidents to the other. They have then another line of support which has the expertise and more professional ppl.

I want to reconfigure the whole thing according to ITIL. I want to have a single point of contact. Merging both may not possible, shifting one of them to be in the SD and keeping the other to be in the 2nd line is also not flexible.

Can the professionals here advice me?

Regards,
Mafatee7
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HD and CS Reply with quote

mafatee7 wrote:
I want to have a single point of contact. Merging both may not possible, shifting one of them to be in the SD and keeping the other to be in the 2nd line is also not flexible.

I can hardly find a solution I you can't merge them nor reorganize for one to become second line support.....

My take would be:
* One single point of contact at the SD , with people that should be trained on biz activities and tools (some may be surprised , but -to me- these skills are more important than the technical ones at first level of support) so they can provide
a) help with using the biz tools
b) good analysis of type and priority of incidents
c) appropriate routing/allocation of the incident
* functionnal support at level 2 like technical support: the SD being in charge of routing, following, re-allocating and escalating if needed.

b.r.
JP
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: HD and CS Reply with quote

Mafatee7,

To follow the guidance of the ITIL framework requires that End Users requesting help and assistance have one point of contact. One phone number, one email address, one fax number. Anything else is straying from Best Practices.

The issues you are encountering are the very reasons that ITIL was developed. Organizations tried splitting out the "Call this number if you are having issues with the sales application, and call this number if you are having issues with etc, etc" and found that it leads to issues of ownership on the part of IT and confusion on the part of the users.

That one point of contact may be a single number that prompts the user to press 1 if the issue is related to a broken device or 2 if your account is locked. But to the user's perspective, there must only be one point of entry for accessing the break fix (Incident) or guidance (Service Request) aspects of IT. You might still have issues of ownership within IT, but it would probably help lessen the confusion on the part of the user.

Even in the above situation, there still needs to be one email address or fax number for the users to contact. The group that controls that email address or fax number becomes the de facto Single Point of Contact.

Don
mafatee7

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Ok, after reading the replies, I have the following thoughts:
    Customers will have a single point of contact (single tel./extension/e-mail/fax ...etc)

I'll shift the HD to be mainly responsible for the SD. They will continue to perform their old tasks as well as the initial support

The CS will be like "first & half" line support, i.e., whenever the SD (prev.HD) can't solve the issue or receive an issue that would normally be one the CS's tasks, the SD will fwd it to the CS

2nd support line will be the other more specialized groups, and 3rd line will be vendors

One thing here to note, is that I need to reconfigure/unify existing processes so that it conforms to ITIL.

Any comments??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: