Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JFinn
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146222

People Online:
Visitors: 63
Members: 1
Total: 64 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Certification training
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certification training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morpheous2020

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Certification training Reply with quote

I am interested in taking the ITIL Foundation course and test in the next two months. I have been an IT professional in the field for about 15 years and have begun an ITIL migration into our services. Is it practical for a person to go from the foundation course to the IT Service Manager course or should one take each practitioner course to lead up to the IT Service Manger course.

Thank you for your help.
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very practical to go from the Foundation to the Service Manager course. This is an excerpt from another thread:

Quote:
Keep in mind that the focus of the Service Manager course and that of the Practitioner courses are different. I received my Service Manager cert and then started teaching the Practitioner Incident/Problem/Service Desk and Config/Change/Release courses.

You would think that having passed the Service Manager course that I would be an instant expert in the Practitioner Level courses. This is not the case.

The Service Manger course consists of 10 days of classroom training to cover the 10 ITIL processes, plus some time spent on the Service Desk and Security Management. Of course the required home study is VERY great. Do not expect to pass the Service Manager test without reading all of both Service Support and Service Delivery books. But still, the amount of time focused in on each process in class is very limited due to the time constraints.

Compare that to a five day course where you go into incredible detail on the how-to's of Incident/Problem/Service Desk. I have spent days, when training, doing nothing but talking about how the Incident Process and the Service Desk interact. Or how Incident Management and Problem Management exchange information. Or how the Service Desk supports the Problem Management process. (I really did love doing that by the way)

I have heard stories of people who sit the Service Manager test and fail because they have passed Practitioner level courses and try to put to much detail into the essay style questions posed on the Service Manager test.

I am not saying that there is not value in both the Service Manager and the Practitioner courses, but they do have different focuses.

The Service Manager is designed for someone who wants the holistic view of how all the ITIL aspects work together. The Practitioner course is the nose-to-the-grindstone detail level of how a few select aspects function and interact.

Which is best for you? I can't say. Think about where you want to go with your career. You say that you want to focus on Service Support, which lends weight to the Practitioner courses. But do you think you can be effective in the Service Support processes without understanding the interactions with Service Level Management or Availability or Capacity management?

Of course I want to be an expert in it all, but that has nothing to do with my career path. It has more to do with my being an ITIL Evangelist.

Just think about what you want to achieve, and then plan your training path appropriately.

Don
morpheous2020

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dboylan, thank you very much for your reply and the excerpt. This has helped me tremendously with the path I need to take to accomplish my cert goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: