Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HXLL
New Today: 39
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146068

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 2
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - KPI for Open Tasks??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KPI for Open Tasks??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITIL-Kahuna

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem Management exists solely because of the fact that we have Incidents. Understanding and accepting this fact, one of the important KPIs for Problem Management is the impact this process has on the impact of Incidents to the Business. In other words, I rather solve 5 problems that have 10 mission critical incidents related to them, then 500 problems with 5000 irrelevant incidents related. Just looking at statistics when determining KPIs is typically not enough. As Mark Twain stated "There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics".
Now as to the time-frame this all needs to happen in, is also related to the amount of resources and the skills/experience of these resources available to Problem Management. This in other words is also called Management Buy-in or Support. Another important factor is to determine whether or not we have a solid work-around or quick fix that will take care of the Incident while looking for the solution for the Problem. A 'minor' Problem with NO work-around for related Incidents might receive a higher priority than a 'major' Problem that has solid work-arounds for the related Incidents in place.
All in all.... easy question...not so easy to answer.
ranjithraghunathan
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A 'minor' Problem with NO work-around for related Incidents might receive a higher priority than a 'major' Problem that has solid work-arounds for the related Incidents in place.

This is exactly what I was suggesting earlier. I think the KPI of the Problem Management team is to assist the Incident Management team in getting back the continuity of service according to the Service Level Agreement.

The other Problem Management related tasks that come along "Proactive Problem Ccontrol" are the ones that will further investigate major incidents for a permanent resolution.
Also the team should be doing Trend Analysis and checking out when a workaround solution will loose its credibility because of higher user group added to the system, etc.

So, can primarily the KPI of the Problem Management team be determined with the ability to provide workarounds or temporary solutions to the Incident Management team?
[/quote]

P.S - Most of my posts are to understand the ITIL fundamentals clearly. So please excuse if not genuine answers to questions.
ITIL-Kahuna

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not completely. Anybody can come up with work-arounds or quick fixes. Problem Management however is the process that validates and posts these in the KEDB. So a metric potentially could be the Mean Time to process proposed work-arounds.
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bondy wrote:
...You should be creating Problem Records that are driving down the total number of incidents from your estate.

Hi, Nick - The use of the word 'estate' piqued my interest. I haven't heard it used in conjunction with ITIL, and I was wondering if you could explain how you use it. Could be a handy term....

Ranjith wrote:
...I think the KPI of the Problem Management team is to assist the Incident Management team in getting back the continuity of service

Hi, Ranjith... If you mean that the PM team is involved with the Incident Mgmt team while the incident is still open & ongoing, then I must disagree with you. I find that the Subject Matter experts (people who look after whatever Configuration items are involved in the incident) can work with the IM team to resolve the incident (identify, contain, correct, propose workarounds, restore, etc) without PM throwing themselves into the mix. Known Error info & Knowledge Base info should be available to all. (Where this comes from: I had a mgr once who thought that PM should be involved in a major live incident, and all the value it seemed to add was to be a kind of Greek Chorus, wringing hands and restating what everyone else already knew and was doing. Total Waste of Time)
/Sharon
ITIL-Kahuna

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget there is a difference between Process and the people working for the processes. People can execute multiple tasks for different processes. So yes, people that execute Problem management tasks could also execute tasks belonging to Incident management. The important, and difficult, thing is to have these people understand when they work for which process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: