Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AClaxton
New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 86
Overall: 139418

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 0
Total: 58

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Metrics Dashboard
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metrics Dashboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morpheous2020

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Metrics Dashboard Reply with quote

Has anyone created and implemented an ITIL Executive Mangement dashboard? If so, what components have you used? Has it proven to be successful and help the executive management team understand the performance of the IT organization (good or bad)?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why ?

SHould not the various department heads do that to the mgmt food chain.....

I can make a dashboard for IM, PM etc but why?

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
morpheous2020

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Metrics Dashboard Reply with quote

UKViking, my Executive team is looking for the production staff to provide a dashboard on our performance on some regular interval.
b2au

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm currently assigned to produce a dashboard as well, but on a deparment level. my goal is to come up with some ITIL based KPI(about 8 of them) and display them in a dashboard.

is that a good idea?

any input is appreciated.
morpheous2020

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Metrics Dashboard Reply with quote

b2au,

Personally, I think it is a great idea. We have several IT organizations spread across the U.S. and the dashboard will help me understand the performance of the organizations as it pertains to Service Delivery. More importantly, it lets the guys in the castle know that you are on top of your job and the Biz Dev guys have something to leverage off of for proposals.

We are a Service Delivery/Support company and the dashboard will help tell and complete our story to current and potential customers. Keep in mind that the KPI's need to be simple and actionable to really mean something to you and the organization. Otherwise you are just collecting data that is meaningless and you cannot act on.

Morpheous2020
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a funny story that is somewhat related:

In a previous company that I worked for I created a very nice monthly executive dashboard report that showed the KPIs for the Service Desk. It included First Call Resolve vs. Ticket Volume, Incidents by Division, High Impact Ticket Trend, Hour of Day Breakdown, Shift Breakdown, VIP Ticket Trend, and Top 5 Software Tickets amongst others. They were all presented in wonderful and easy to understand bar graphs.

Another section of the dashboard was a Customer Satisfaction Survey Trend graph that showed the results of a randomized survey sent to users who had their issue resolved on first call. This was actually a very manually intensive portion of the report because it required me to do massive data scrubbing to determine if the survey response was related to a "First Call Resolve", or just a user venting their frustration at IT.

We found out in early spring that our group was going to be outsourced at the end of the summer. I immediately stopped the sending out of surveys since I knew that from this point on all bets for "Satisfaction" were off. But I still continued producing my report. I just included the March results for every month (the last month before we found out about the outsourcing initiative). In August my boss called me to tell me that I had made a mistake in the monthly report. I had apparently pasted in the results of March's survey.

I said that he should look at July's report.... And then at June's report... And then at May's report.... etc.

I fessed up that I had stopped updating that portion of the report as soon as the outsourcing was common knowledge and that March's data was the last attempt to gather the information. He seemed a little upset, but I told him that the data would be skewed from that point on due to the lack of motivation in the remaining Service Desk personnel. Also the fact that my efforts seemed to go unnoticed for four months implied that he really didn't have a defensible position.

I was released from the position in the outsourcing a few weeks later and have since used him as an excellent reference and had a couple of job offers from him to do some contract reporting.

If ever you find yourself in a similar position, try just leaving portions of your "mandatory reports" unchanged from previous reporting periods. See if anyone notices. You might be surprised.

Don
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fantastic story.

To me, the light came on about 2 years ago. My CEO was a really smart man. One day he said to me: I don't understand why people would produce a report with all sorts of green lights on it. What matters is when they turn yellow or red, and why. Then you have my attention. I don't have time to sit and pat you in the back because all your lights are green... They should be green, that's what you're getting paid for. As Director of IT at the time, I felt like it made all the sense in the world and I felt like an idiot at the same time because I hadn't realized that sooner....

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
b2au

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fabien,

I just want to clarify if your suggesting if you think a dashboard is useful or not. I understand that when all the lights are green, management probably isn't to concerned with reading the dashboard. however, the dashboard becomes important when the lights do become yellow or red.

the dashboard that im producing at the moment (as stated in my other thread) will be viewed by team members as well. one of the pillars in the company im doing my coop at is 'continuous improvement' and the goal of this simple dashboard im trying to create is to enable team members to continously improve even if the lights are green.

best regards,
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b2au wrote:
Hey Fabien,

I just want to clarify if your suggesting if you think a dashboard is useful or not. I understand that when all the lights are green, management probably isn't to concerned with reading the dashboard. however, the dashboard becomes important when the lights do become yellow or red.

the dashboard that im producing at the moment (as stated in my other thread) will be viewed by team members as well. one of the pillars in the company im doing my coop at is 'continuous improvement' and the goal of this simple dashboard im trying to create is to enable team members to continously improve even if the lights are green.

best regards,

See, I think I understand your objective and it is good to place visual signals in front of people based on hard facts. But here are my comments on that:

1) When you say Management is not too concerned when reading the dashboard, that's already a step too far. Management is likely not to even read that. I'm not saying that you should not measure it, mind you. But I question the value of a dashboard for management.

2) There really is no incentive for staff to work on improving a green light. As I mentioned in another post, you need to set objectives, define critical success factors, and determine the KPIs that are going to demonstrate your achievement or not. Those are numbers you should have your staff confronted with at all times. That's what a dashboard does. The dashboard is not for the passenger. It's for the driver...

Management has 1,000,000 things on the table. A Quarterly Report that says: "We're doing great. Here are the pieces that require attention: ...." is the sort of tone that will get the attention. Dashboards are often used as an excuse to demonstrate how good of a job IT is doing and very few people in senior management actually will give any priority to something that works...

The other rule of thumb is that people don't read, even if they should. So if your dashboard has not told its full story within 4-5 seconds, you need to review it. That is another reason why you need to scale down on the green lights, unless you want to submerge the single red dot...

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
insider

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I produce a weekly Service Performance dashboard for the support area that I work in. In case you're interested, it includes:

-A RAG status (displayed like traffic lights) for each application; red would denote a major outage in the previous week for example
-A summary of major incidents
-No of tickets vs average for this year vs average for last year (again, an indication of whether the ticket count is good or bad is given)
-A graph of weekly rolling ticket count over the last 6 months (hopefully showing a downward trend Wink

This format proves quite useful to at least getting service visible and allows management / stakeholders to gauge what service looks like at the moment...........

So, its not an ITIL dashboard per se......but serves its purpose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: