Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: WMauer
New Today: 46
New Yesterday: 44
Overall: 146556

People Online:
Visitors: 35
Members: 0
Total: 35

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Request verse Change Request
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Request verse Change Request
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Samlindsay,

It is very common for companies to log all calls to the help desk as Incidents, since very few have access to a fully functional Service Catalog with an easy to use Service Request mechanism built into their help desk solution. We know this because this is the market we're in. We've bridged that gap.

Anyhow, logging all your calls is a very good start. In the case of your example, it would definitely be a Service Request, where the consumer is asking for that new mouse. However, in most cases, this is not something that would be considered a Request For Change. A Request For Change typically results in the configuration change of a product (software and/or hardware).

However, if you are managing a Resource's configuration the same way you would manage a product configuration, by tracking their detailed location, the assets they possess, their computer profiles, their office layout, etc., then, yes, deploying that mouse would be changing their configuration. There are a few companies out there that have matured enough to be able to manage such configurations. The more typical scenario is that most simply worry about the configurations of their software, hardware, and data centers.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
samlindsay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

Thank you for your reply, it does actually clear that up for me!

Regards,

Sam Lindsay
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line in this discussion depends on what you/your company has decided is the baseline for CI's.

As Frank says, some companies go the whole hog and want any tiny alteration to hardware registered and accounted for - others do not want to get into the complexities of that situation.

Personally as a Change Manager, I take the view that a mouse is a consumable, just like paper and ink in a printer and we do not log it as a change

It is really is just horses for courses.

Regards

Ed
rmch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Change manager Reply with quote

Ed,

I'm curious as to what process your company came up with to designate a "change manager" role. What is your real job title? Is it now an "extra" requirement on your job description?

Re: service request. It is my understanding that there are only three types of RFCs that end up in CM: normal, standard and urgent changes. In CM, a password change is a "standard change" for example.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rmch

So am I

It is my full time role

My Job Title is

Change & Configuration Management Team Leader

I do not do anything else, and at the moment the config side of life is on hold - see my posts elsewhere.

I am a qualified Change Management Practioner. I am also a qualified Configuration Management practictioner and have been in IT since 1973 (33 years)

Nearly correct on the Change types - Basic (ad hoc) Standard and Emergency - Lots of people get caught by Emergency/Urgent - Urgent is the Priority not the type.

A password Change is an ideal candidate for being made into a Standard Change as it can be proceduralised and always follows the same steps and the risks can be easily assessed.

Regards

Ed
0L0_7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

In my humble experience working with several clients and accounts I have encounter similar lack of clarity regarding Service Requests.

Interpretation of what is/should to be considered a Service Request should to be predefined in the SLA for given account.

My best bet was always to find the answers in this document.

However if SR's are not defined in SLA then we have a tricky situation as it usually adversely affects the metrics for the whole account.
In such circumstances an attempt should to be made to define and implement separate Service Request workflow specific to the organizational needs and means.

To borrow from Jan Van Bon the following are the examples of regular Service Requests would be:
Functional question or request for information
Status inquiry
Password reset
Requests for batch jobs and password authorizations
Database extraction
Request to provide new employee with appropriate IT functionality/services

In principle these actions could be classified as Change, however for practical reasons these were defined as Service Requests by the Organizations to relieve Change Management Process.

I have to agree with Jan that for day to day Service Desk operations, Incident Management and Change Management processes and their functionality that Service Requests are in fact Changes that are “outsourced” and taken out of the Change Management workflow model due to level of the impact on the day to day operations for the users and due to the fact that these “are/could /should” to be classified or understood as standard changes that do not need CAB and TAB involvement and can be handled by standardised process.

Regards

OLO Shocked
0L0_7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe,

I think I should to chk the dates....
Laughing
raroa
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: ITIL V3 addresses service requests in full. Reply with quote

ITIL V3 addresses service requests in full. See the Service Operation book.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Change should be require for any CI for which the attributes of the CI is changed.

A mouse or a keyboard is not an attribute.

Therefore not a change

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: service request or a Change Reply with quote

The below is an understanding of a newbie

Neither the new service request or the change request should ideally go through the Service Desk. The Service desk being an ally of the Incident Management should be only reported disruptions of service. The Incident Management should be able to do a RFC if the disruption requires any change in the CI. All Service Requests doesn't warrant a change but they do require approvals. For example a request for a new laptop doesn't require a change in the CI but certain approvals as it involves procurement. The users must be extended the ability to raise such requests as a self service and such requests should be logged as incidents at all . Any ideas or inputs are welcome .
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

it is a service request. The service request may become an order to order the mouse - at procurment level.

It is not a change as you are not altering the IT infrastructure. You are providing a consumable to a user.

You may need a CI record if you are logging CI's to the level of a mouse but in general this is to much overhaed due tot he value of the mouse being so low.

From an asset management point of view you may need an asset record as opposed to a CI.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and the rest ...

Ask yourself the question ... who does the user speak to in order to request the laptop??

The point is that they call the Service Desk. Whether the Service Desk take the order for that laptop ot tell the user where they need to go and who they need to talk to depends on how they are set up. The important thing is thet
1) the user has a single point of contact for any request - the servcie desk
20 the service desk have the infomation to provide to the user about their request e.g. if they dont order the laptop that the tell the user either who to contact or the process for them ordering the laptop at their location.

Its about providing the information to the service desk so they can provide the user with the information. The service desk is not just about incidents. Its alaos about request fulfillment.
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well understood. The Service Desk should remain the sole point of contact .However, the problem here is that the high number of calls and high numbers of incidents corresponding to the calls point towards an unstable IT Infrastructure system as most of the BMC/ CA tools allow the Helpdesk analysts only to log incidents. It should work if the tools are flexible enough to be customized to take up IT Service Request Calls. When I say customizing, it means that once request raised by the Helpdesk analyst the request goes to the requestor's manager for approval( who eventually would be paying for it), then upon approval it comes to the IT Service Desk which routes it to the appropriate groups. I would recommend an online IT requisition form with an inbuilt workflow management. The Service Desk can't shrug off the responsibility of redirecting the end users towards this form. Such calls could be called as queries and could be closed quickly . A rising number of such queries should indicate that the Online requisition form is not advertised properly. All incidents logged in the ITSM points towards a failure of one thing or the other .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: