Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AMoseley
New Today: 43
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 146143

People Online:
Visitors: 119
Members: 0
Total: 119

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident Priority Setting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident Priority Setting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
salwa_alzhmi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Incident Priority Setting Reply with quote

Hi all

As far as i learn from ITIL, to set incient priority we need to define the impact and urgency values. How can I automate the process of defining the values of both urgency and impact so, the priority will be calculated automatically by my tool.

Salwa
servicedesk_sunny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Priority setting Reply with quote

Hi sal,

We are using remedy to raise a ticket and here we don't follow automated but prefer to set the priority manually.

Generally when a ticket is raised we have 3 thins to chose 1.Request Impact
2.Urgency and based on these two 3.Priority.

We have low,medium,high,urgent under Urgency and priority fileds

but since it is not logical we dont have urgent under request impact field.

This something we follow , let me know if this server ur purpose or gimme ur Email ID so that i can mail a screenshot.

Regards,
Sandeep.
salwa_alzhmi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes pleases that will be great, if you send me the screen shots.
my mail id is salwa.moh@gmail.com

thanks alot for ur reply

salwa
kimberlito

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Incident Priority Setting Reply with quote

salwa_alzhmi wrote:
Hi all

As far as i learn from ITIL, to set incient priority we need to define the impact and urgency values. How can I automate the process of defining the values of both urgency and impact so, the priority will be calculated automatically by my tool.

Salwa

Hi,

I have the same problem as you, and, the way I chose to surpass the problem was applying the following formula:

x*Impact + y*Urgency, where x and y are values defined by the organization, in my case i choose: x=2/3; y=1/3 (configurable...).

In my case, the result of such formula, indexes the Priority table.

Hope it helps and appreciate feedback.
servicedesk_sunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds gr8 sal , will check that with my remedy admin and let u know...thnx fr the inputs...

Regards,
Sandeep.
salwa_alzhmi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim thankx for replying
but the formela need the impact and urgency input from end user , which i dont want .. atleast i should makes the impact within service desk hand, because they are the onoly people know how much the incident have impact on business service.

salwa
JoePearson
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salwa, in my experience you can't make the assessment of impact and urgency completely independent of the user. You'll always have the user trying to push it.

But some basic rules can be set around impact, like:
multiple sites, all services down - impact high
more than one user affected, or multiple services down, or a critical business function unavailable - impact medium
one user, one service affected but not completely unavailable - impact low

no workarounds, critical functions affected, in a critical period - urgency high
some workarounds - urgency medium
user can still get job done - urgency low

Obviously you need to be more precise with the rules - those are only examples - and make them relevant to the number of users, sites and services you have. You could also have more levels.

The issue may come that if you don't have "critical business functions" (ie critical features of services) and "critical business periods" defined in your CMDB or service desk tool, you'll have to get that from the user - and you'll be back where you started.
salwa_alzhmi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear JoePearson,
Can I know exactly what did u mean by:
"
Quote:
The issue may come that if you don't have "critical business functions" (ie critical features of services) and "critical business periods"

As far as I understand is that I need to have a tool beside the incident management "at this moment" that will work as the point where the impact value will be assigned automatically based on 1) number of duplicated incident so , will find out number of affected people, 2) the number of location that reporting the same incident, so we will find out the scope of the incident.
I wana know if what I am thinking on is right...!

Regards
Salwa
JoePearson
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant this:

IF you can answer undisputed questions when logging the incident, like
- how many users that you know of are affected?
- which functions of the service are not working?
AND you have the "critical" functions defined, as well as the critical periods for the business, THEN the tool could calculate impact using rules like the ones I suggested.

If you don't have that understanding you'll have to give some authority to the end-user calling it to say what the impact is. This is normally what happens!

Does this make sense?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: