Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KMacFarla
New Today: 21
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148432

People Online:
Visitors: 63
Members: 0
Total: 63

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Can i take Service Manager (Service Support) training only?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can i take Service Manager (Service Support) training only?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wannabesm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Can i take Service Manager (Service Support) training only? Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to know if i can take the Service Support training only
and attend the Service Support exam. I cannot take both the trainings at one go as i do not have the budget. I am planning to take SS first and then go for SD after a few months. Is this allowed by ISEB or EXIN accredited training providers ??

Please advice.

Regards
WANNABESM
Singapore
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISEB rules (and I am sure that they apply to EXIN and APMG too) say that the first time you sit the exam you must sit both parts. Subsequently you may sit just 1 exam if you failed it the first time. There are often questions in 1 paper which span both areas, such as "What is the relationship between SLM and the SS disciplines" in a SD exam.
However, you do not need to sit the SS support exam after the SS course. Tell the Training Provider not to enter you until you have done the SD course later. However, be aware that the Manager exam will be ceasing in about 1 year, due to the new V3 exams.
Roger
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Never the twain shall meet.. Reply with quote

Liz, actually the rules are slightly differnet for Exin and APMG... you can actually have a gap.

wannabesm it will depend on the training company and their accreditation. But if they are Exin or APMG accredited and they tell you that you can't have a delay between exams... tell them that they are not working hard enough for you !!

But wannabesm as Liz says, if you want to take v2 better to take it sooner rather than later.
wannabesm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Can i take Service Manager (Service Support) training only? Reply with quote

Hi Liz and Roger,

Thank you for your reply, I have a few more clarifications.

Since v3 training is going to comeup in one year time, do u suggest i wait
and go for v3 Service managers training and certification?

I am v2 foundations certified and working in ITIL since four years, do you suggest i sould go for v3 foundations bridge course and take v3 foundations exam ? I am working in ITIL compliant support environment and i really dont see any difference the v3 training is going to make to my work, i should do it out of my interest to update myself with v3 knowledge. Please advice me on this..

Regards/Wannabesm
Singapore
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise going for V2 Managers, then taking the bridge course later, This is quicker, cheaper, and means that you do not have to wait until the new courses are available.
Roger
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm this is the BIG question...

Liz is answering you from a personal opinion and I agree that if you are looking for the quickest track then doing the ITIL Foundation Bridge course and exam (20 question, 30 minutes, 13 correct required to pass), then taking the ITIL v2 Managers, then the v2 to v3 Managers bridge is the way to go.

From a vendor perspective we probably should encourage you to take the v2 to v3 Foundation bridge, then wait for the v3 Lifecycle, Capability and capping course and become a super-v3-guru...

BUT the later track means you have to wait (and right now no one can even tell you how long you have to wait). You need to ask yourself, what do you want the certification for...
haider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Hi guys Reply with quote

I was going through one of the sites a few days back and found that there is no bridging course for Service Managers V2 to V3 yet. However, for the red bagde, you just need to attend a training course.

Still trying to get information from sources to find the authenticity of the claim.

Regards,
Haider
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V2 to V3 managers bridging course should be available before the end of the year. Just to clarify haider's remarks "for the red bagde, you just need to attend a training course." - to achieve red badge (managers qualification), you must attend the 2 weeks training and pass both 3 hour exams.
wannabesm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Can i take Service Manager (Service Support) training only? Reply with quote

Hi Liz and Roger,

Thanks for your advice. After writing to Exin and ISEB i understand that
Exin does allow one to do the SS or SD training and sit for the exam seperatly. I also understand that the V2 Masters will be available till Jan 2009.Thats good news for me desperate to do the Masters training with budget constriant Smile

Now i need one last piece of advice..going by what Liz said in her earlier post in this discussion there are going to be questions in SS exam that will be linked to the SD concepts.. i would like to understand what percentage of these questions constitute the whole of SS exam ? and is it worth making this attempt to sit for the SS exam only?

Hope to hear from you soon.,

regards/wanabesm
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not definite that there will be questions across both areas in any exam - and if so, probably just 1 question. However, in order to understand SS you need to understand SD and vice-versa. I would advise reading the "Introduction to Service Management, based on ITIL book" and making sure you can pass a Foundation mock before attempting either Managers paper. This will ensure that you have the basic knowledge that you can then apply to the question, should it come up.
Good Luck!
wannabesm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Can i take Service Manager (Service Support) training only? Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Liz. I shall proceed to do the SS training and sit for the exam. I will keep posting on my progress.

regards/waanbesm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: