Joined: Feb 28, 2006 Posts: 411 Location: Coventry, England
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:49 pm Post subject:
try this for size
Release Management Policy Statement
The objective of Release Management is the protection of the live environment and its services through the use of formal procedures and checks.
Definition of a Release
The term 'Release' is used to describe a collection of authorised Changes to an IT service. A Release is defined by the RFCs that it implements. A Release consists of the new or changed software required and any new or changed hardware needed to implement the approved Changes.
Safeguarding the accuracy and completeness of data, software, hardware, people, environment, and accommodation.
Release Management undertakes the planning, design, build, configuration and testing of hardware and software to create a set of Release components for a live environment. Activities also cover the planning, preparation and scheduling of a Release to many Customers and locations.
· The purpose of the policy is to ensure business continuity and to minimise business damage by minimising the negative impact of releases.
· It is the policy of the Company that:
· All Releases to the live environment must be authorised by the Release Management Team before implementation.
· The live environment is considered to be any area under the control of [company], whether hardware, software, people, environment, or accommodation.
· The integrity of the live environment will be maintained
· A Major Release will have been assessed as having a Major impact on the business of [company] or our Customers, a Minor Release will consist of individual program file installs/fixes and/or hardware installs/fixes
· Major Releases will take place as scheduled after consultation with the Customer
· Minor Releases will take place in the daily scheduled window
· Emergency Releases will take place at the sole discretion of [company]
· Releases will be uniquely identified. Releases will document all the RFCs that they partially or fully implement.
· Releases will be documented according to the [company] standard.
· An independent person will test all Releases before implementation.
· All Releases will have adequate regression procedures.
· Regression procedures must be tested and validated by an independent person before implementation.
· Business critical times will be controlled by Change Freezes and these will be scheduled after consultation with the affected Customer/s
· All staff will receive appropriate education with due regard to Release Management policy
· Every employee or worker, whether permanent, temporary, or contract is to report any suspected breach of the Release Policy to the Release Manager
· Procedures are developed to support the policy.
· The Release Manager has responsibility for maintaining and implementing the policy, and for providing advice and guidance on it’s implementation.
· All Line Managers are responsible for implementing and ensuring adherence to the policy within their areas of responsibility.
· The Release Management policy is approved by, and has the full support of, the Board.
We are a Managed Service Supplier, and as such some of our requirements do not fit everybody, but this is, I think, a good starting point.
The layout of the document is a single page, in two columns. The left-hand column goes down to the end of 'Scope' and the rest is on the right.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum