Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LWinifred
New Today: 4
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146217

People Online:
Visitors: 33
Members: 2
Total: 35 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CMDB in Mobile operator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CMDB in Mobile operator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgasparac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: CMDB in Mobile operator Reply with quote

Hi,

is there anyone working in mobile operator and have implemented CMDB?

In my environment, I have "classical" IT environment with services my company is offering to custommers, but in background there is telecom network together with radio access network which is somehow two different worlds.

So, question is how to define CI when you have IT, telco and radio systems mixed and interworking, how to communicate with this two siloses in general, what is appropriate tool, etc.?

Any assistance is welcomed!

Br,
D.
AlphagamerTyson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion every element that is important enough for your company, be it for internal use or for the delivery of the services to the customers, is a potential CI. At a certain level there will be a relationship of some sort between the items from the "two silos" as you call them.

Which tool you should use is much harder I think. Define precisely what you want to track and speak to different vendors (not only with the sales people), and choose which ever you think is most value for money. Watch out for low prized OOTB solutions that cost a fortune to customize - or watch out for customizations in general (configuration is another thing).
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dgasparac,

At this point in ITIL's maturity, you shouldn't be "defining" CIs. Most good CMDB tools have already done the defining for you, to save you time, money and energy. You should simply be taking the CIs in your enterprise and categorizing them into the right CI Types or "buckets". For example, you should be itemizing and managing all your Assets (a specific CI type), all your Services (another CI type), all your people (another CI type), etc.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL Platform
dgasparac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

thanks for reply. I have not defined my question properly, so I received answers not fully to what I ment...

Anyway, my dilema is as follows: since mobile operator has somehow combined two different worlds, same situation occurs when you come to processes, especially tools. What is needed in one, is not fully understandable on other and vice versa.

I.e. in what we could call "IT part", we have started introduction of ITIL processes, but very limited. We have implemented HP Service Desk for Incident Management as well as Change Management, although Configuration Management is missing. In "Radio part", we are using Andrew's Omnix, which is workflow management tool, fine for this purpose.

Now, the question is: how to unite this two worlds...? I'm not asking for a solution (I know you can't give it to me), just for a different point of view where and how to start? It would be best if we have one tool, but both tools are good for some purpose. I see configuration management as priority, but since this two worlds have different expectations, I don't know what is best way to go...

Thanks!
JoePearson
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D

I am doing some work now with a mobile operator, but not yet on config.

Are you struggling with organisational splits, e.g. radio base stations, subscribers, and IT components all being "owned" by different divisions? Or with technology splits, e.g. different alert management and/or discovery tools being required (best of breed) in each area?

Ownership matters mostly for change management. Do you have different groups (and business processes) that are authorised to approve and implement changes in each domain? Those people will have to define the CI level and attribute scope for each CI type.

However, you need to bring all the information together. For this you need a conceptual data model. And, although I think the term is an excuse for copping out, a "federated CMDB" model may be necessary - where the full detail and the master source for different CI types may be in different tools.

I believe there is no "appropriate" tool for bringing the two silos together. ITIL is not mature in this regard, and the tools even less so.

Edit: you've posted this in the "Configuration" area, yet you don't have the configuration module set up in HP SD and you describe Omnix as a workflow not a config tool. Are there any config tools in place, or are you trying to pick one?
dgasparac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

thanks for reply.

My first issue is for sure organizational: two siloses (at least). Somehow this should not be a problem because operations work (more or less) together, but anyway there are many different understandings (and the most difficult one is: "ITIL is for IT"), I would say even different strategies.

Change management is implemented, but mostly in IT area. Radio part has it's own processes, and tools of course. In IT area, tools are mostly harmonized, in radio part there is still a lot to do (at least three different tools besides Omnix)

Federated CMDB is what I also have in mind, for various reasons, only question is how and where to store links to different sources - still you need a "master" tool (and then you again have "my and your tool" issue).

Omnix is, besides workflow functionality, also used as config management in radio part, but also limited (only current status is available, no history, logging or whatsoever). It looks good, but is for sure not suittable for IT part. HP OV integration is technically feasible, but the price could be very high.

Of course, this al is only a top of the iceberg. Wink
JoePearson
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which silo are you in? Very Happy I'm guessing IT.

I'd suggest you look at making HP Service Desk the core CMDB (I'm not sure if you have to buy another module for this). Then define imports from the radio systems. But you'll need some agreement on the identifier names and what happens with deviations (will you be able to tell the difference between a base station that has gone down, and one that has been decommissioned?)
dgasparac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in IT silo, but now I'm "UN blue helmet" on the fireline in between. Very Happy

We already implemented HP Open View for incident management and service desk, so this sonuds reasonable if we use it further for CMDB. The question is wheather to migrate all data to HP OV, or to make federated model? Changing of tools is the major problem for anybody and a common reason why nobody want's to change anything. From the literature I see that federated model is widely used, but I have not mouch experience with it, especially if we intend to use two tools and share data - although the question is also do we need all data in one DB if departments are to some extent function independently?
JoePearson
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - sorry I haven't visited the forum for a while.

Shot at by both sides, eh?

I'm guessing that migrating all the data into HPOV will cause you headaches in HPOV and - probably more so - if the radio/engineering side have reporting tools dependent on their existing databases. If their usage is very simple, this might not be an issue.

Do you need all the data in one DB? Not really, unless there are cost savings - but do you need the two areas to agree on common items? Common names for sites, etc? Those are the issues you'll have with building federation, and they're the ones most useful to deal with anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: