Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LKibby
New Today: 49
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148235

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 0
Total: 50

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Public Domain???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public Domain???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Public Domain??? Reply with quote

I've read in a number of places that the ITIL Framework is "in the public domain" - yet every link I follow in webbed research process leads me to sites asking me to purchase the printed material created by the Brit. Gov. - yet there are no links anywhere on the actual texts contained "in the public domain" At least I've not found it... Does this even exist?

What is up with this??? I can get the entire COBIT texts, why not the entire ITIL? as PDF or something? How is anyone supposed to get the info "in the public domain" when it's being horded and sold???

Zack
LordMuck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Zack, but the bad news is that the text is chargeable wherever you go. Maybe PD in this context means that the implementation within your organization is free and unfettered... who knows.

It's much the same as for standards. ISO 9000, ISO 17799 and so on: the texts are all chargeable.

It doesn't help that they are far from cheap, which I guess is another reason why the ITIL Toolkit, for example, does so well. Again though, standards are far from cheap.

Don't shoot the messenger!
FrancisLiu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: ITIL is NOT in the Public Domain Reply with quote

From the Official ITIL Website:

Is ITIL® in the public domain?

It depends. It depends on what you think `public domain' means. According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law © 1996, public domain is:

"the realm or status of property rights that belong to the community at large, are unprotected by copyright or patent, and are subject to appropriation by anyone"

ITIL is protected by copyright. By definition, therefore, ITIL is NOT in the public domain.

However, it is NOT true that the contents of these ITIL publications can be appropriated by anyone and everyone for reuse, reproduction or republication without the express permission of OGC. Why? Because OGC owns ITIL, and the ITIL publications are Crown Copyright and are a `Crown Copyright Value Added product'. The publications are therefore protected by copyright law.
QuinnH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, remember that documents, processes, "evidence", etc. created by a company towards model compliance (whether it be ITITL, CMMI, ISO, whatever ...) are most always considered as company assets. Thus, they become proprietary, strategic, and so forth. Unlikely a company will let loose the competative edge they have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: