Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LClarey
New Today: 29
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 149976

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 2
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Deails for Each ITIL Component
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deails for Each ITIL Component

View previous topic :: View next topic  
query
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Deails for Each ITIL Component Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I am planning to attend an ITIL foundation course soon. I am trying to find out more in depth information about ITIL. I have got my head around differences between Incident and Problem Management and have establsihed a Help Desk Culture in the team under my control that Religiously implements these two crucial ITIL areas.

I am planning to continue down this path and introduce Configuration and Change Management as part of our Helpdesk's procedure. I would like to find out what kind of templates exist out there and what kind of information typically is required to be recorded for these two modules. As far as I can tell, Configuration Management keeps records of all systems (IP, Host, Applications installed + other company IT assets) and Change Management is used for records of any change done to any Server type system. Apart from above two definitions I am at a loss at what information to begin recording. Any suggestions?

I am also interested in description of any other ITIL modules from the point of view which records / tabs are to be stored / recorded, where could I find this kind of information???

My course is still a couple of months away and the management is reluctant to provide both the course and expensive ITIL books for my education. I feel however that Modules as important as Change and Configuration Management should already be established in my organisation.

Thank you so much for your help in advance Smile
RobRoy47
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: You won't like my answer Reply with quote

If you are committed to implementation of ITIL, buy yourself a copy of the books. You will want them for reference, and will want to take them with you if you change jobs. Lots of money—a good investment!
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with RobRoy on this one. I bought the service support book with my own money and work finally agreed to buy the second one for me.

If you look at my past posts or Google you will see some links to introductory ITIL PDFs and useful sites.

Just to clarfiy though, a configuration item can be pretty much anything that you want to manage changes to; this could be anything from PCs to training documentation. It comes down to the way your business works and what is important to manage.

As you say Change Management goes hand in hand with this. My personal feeling is that you could have change management without Configuration managment but you can't have configuration management without change management. You don't want to get all your information together and then have no means of controlling how that information is updated etc.

Again though, change management isn't limited to hardware, servers, or software. You could define a service as a configuration item and user's requesting a change to that service (could be through service delivery mechanism or service desk) would be considered a change that needs to be managed.

I hope that makes sense and clarifies instead of confuses.

I only completed my Foundation certificate in October last year so I'm still learning the ITIL ropes myself!
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItilImp's descritpion is on the money.

A more general point for those thinking about where to start:

ITIL does not scale well. This is one the of main challenges any organisation is going to face. Of course, the books talk frequently about limiting scope, and quick wins, and continuous improvement, and about which process you might implement first - but don't think it's simple or easy. Scaling is actually the hardest thing.

As noted here, configuration management really needs change managment, but change and configuration really need some aspects of service level management as well - if you don't have dfined services managing scope on configuration management is going to be a major headache.

Pretty much any process you look at is going to be dependent of other processes. What happens when you are starting out, is that the processes you implement first get 'overloaded' to compensate for the ones that aren't in place yet. If that compensation goes too far, the processes can become to ill-formed, or bloated to be effective. (This is a very common sate of affairs)

There are no quick answers to the scale / scope issues, but it really does help to be explicitly aware of them, and the need to manage them throughout your implementation.
query
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjp wrote:
As noted here, configuration management really needs change managment, but change and configuration really need some aspects of service level management as well - if you don't have dfined services managing scope on configuration management is going to be a major headache.

Pretty much any process you look at is going to be dependent of other processes. What happens when you are starting out, is that the processes you implement first get 'overloaded' to compensate for the ones that aren't in place yet. If that compensation goes too far, the processes can become to ill-formed, or bloated to be effective. (This is a very common sate of affairs).

Thanks rjp (And everybody who replied)

When you talk about Service Level Management, do you refer to a Service Level Agreement in place? We currently do not have one of those because our clients are internal staff and my management never saw a need for one of those. Should we have one and what are the benefits / pit falls of having an SLA with internal staff?

I think you are right in regards to knowing the purpose of each ITIL module. IT is turning into quite a journey for me. At this point in time all of the information I have gathered is quite overwheleming. The main questions I have is what is to be recorded and which information is to be kept where and for what use and who it is to be updated by. It is very easy to get lost in all of this.

Just out of curiosity, is there a guide in regards to which modules are the starting modules and which are continuation modules. If ITIL is to be introduced into an organisation on module by module basis? (E.g. first Incident Management, then Problem Management etc...)

Thank you all, you have been a wealth of knowledge Smile
RobRoy47
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: For Implementation Reply with quote

I recommend reading the Visible Ops Handbook. The implementation order will be different for each organization, but this book lies out a reasonable and logical approach
fishkake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents based on my own experience - before starting the task, make sure that your management are VERY aware of how complex ITIL is, and how huge a job it is to implement it. My situation is rather dire because I'm expected to go from zero to ITIL in four weeks, which is just downright ridiculous. Make certain that they understand that the entire culture off the business wil change, which will require their authority and commitment. Finally, make it clear that this is going to cost the organisation - maybe not a great deal of money, but a lot of man hours.

Everything you change will impact everything else - configuration management, for example, involves keeping a record of everything you and your customers have got. Building this database is time consuming but easy - it is the maintenance that is the challenge. If your helpdesk stff get a call and resolve the Incident by making some minor change to configuration, the CMDB must be updated. As soon as something happens which is not in the CMDB, the CMDB becomes simply a waste of disk space. Its either accurate, or its useless.

Also, make certain that your IT staff are aware that ITIL is supposed to be BOTH a tool to support and improve their work, AND a tool to help better support the (internal) customer. If it is not doing both of these things, then it is failing! Don't let your IT staff see this as somehting they must put up with, let them see it as something which will make their lives easier. Sending them on the course will help in this, everybody likes getting qualifications, and the theoretical side of ITIL really sells itself well.

I hope this is of some help. Summed up, my advice is: Don't be skeptical about ITIL, but be very skeptical about its implementation. It WILL take more time and effort than you think, I guarantee it!!
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Details for Each ITIL Component Reply with quote

I can only agree with everyone else - just to clear up some misconceptions - A Configuration Management DataBase(CMDB) is not an asset list it is a database that reflects the relationships between the Configuration Items(CIs). As such it takes a considerable amount of time to build one that is worthwhile. Sorry for banging on, but people seem to miss this bit (I'm dual qualified Change & Config Practitioner)

Foy your internal staff you can still have either an SLA, or indeed, an OLA. Remember ITIL is a framework based on best practice and you are allowed to use the bits you need. It is not 'One size fits all'

We looked at trying to implement ITIL peicemeal, but in reality at the end of it we realised that we need/want it all

Regards

Ed
query
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on this. In the end we do want it all. But it simply is not possible to introduce ITIL all at once. It has to be introduced little by little and one module at a time. So would anyone know what the best practice for this would be? Introducing Problem Management after Incident Management for example worked out really well for us Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: