Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RChisolm
New Today: 48
New Yesterday: 66
Overall: 142267

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 0
Total: 53

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Are activities of process compulsory ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are activities of process compulsory ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duboisidell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Are activities of process compulsory ? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Our company has just started to embark on ITIL and there are many arguments on whether activities of processes are compulsory. for example, in Capacity Management, can you skip Demand Management just because it is not being practiced at the moment ?
My understanding is that we must address all activities of each processes. However, the tasks of activity can be customized according to current company practice or to define the tasks to be practiced from now. Therefore, if certain activity (i.e. Demand Management) is not being currently practiced, we must still address the activity in our procedure and start to practice that activity.
Please comments.
Thank you.
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unlikely that you will be able to implement every process activity at the outset of an ITIL implementation.

Generally it is best to follow the 'Where are we?' -> 'Where do we want to be?' -> 'How do we get there?' approach - but in an objective manner.

Many organisations start with a Service Management maturity assessment or capability audit. (Often bringing in consultants to ensure the quality of the information produced). The findings are then assessed in terms of the organisations own obejctives and priorities: Where is it weak, where is it strong, what should be addressed first? For example, the fact that you are not doing something may not indicate a strong operational weakness. Capability (or lack thereof) has to be assessed against requirements and impact. In the assessment phase you would make a judgement about 'Demand Management', which would be based on the level of impact or risk of impact not doing it was causing. If it is low, but something else - like having no formal change management - was having a more detrimental impact, you would direct your energies to change management first.

In applying the ITIL framework to your Service Management obejctives (the where do we want to be part) you would make some initial decisions about the overall scope. On balance, taking into account the costs and benefits of something like Demand Management alongside your current priorities, and the options available, you would make a call as to whether you going to place it in or out of scope for the implementation.

More generally, however, it is a safe assumption that there are benefits to be had in all the process and sub-process activities in the ITIL. By not attending to some you may not receive those benefits.

And another very important thing to consider is that, quite often, some things are 'happening' anyway. So while you are not 'doing' any demand management, the real situation may be that a number of activites are occurring which are regulating and effecting demand. It could be that some of these activities are actually creating problems for your Capacity. The initial audit should find these and identify their effect on Capacity. If there is 'informal' Demand management occurring then the value of formalising and controlling it becomes much higher - especially if those activities are undermining your ability to effectively manage capacity.

Which is to say, it is better to approach this question a) through an objective assesment of what is occurring in your organisation, and b) by weighing up effort against expected value: Rather than starting with whether something is 'compulsory' or not.
duboisidell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate and thank you for spending time in giving a very detail guidiance.
shubhendu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Some more comments Reply with quote

Hi,
cpl of points:

A. As mentioned in the previous reply,most of the "activities" would be any way happening in the organization.All u need to do is "discover" them than implement them.
B. However, if Demand Management is really not practised in any form in the organization,there are two things to be done.One,prepare a plan to implement it with sub-tasks and dates around it to acheive this capability.Two,put this in your Service Improvement Plan and keep reviewing for progress.

It is important to perform this step if you are planning for BS15000/ISO 20000 audit as the auditor will ask for this. You can follow this approach for any non conformance that you see in any areas
duboisidell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
"It is important to perform this step if you are planning for BS15000/ISO 20000 audit as the auditor will ask for this."

Thanks for your response. So am I correct that there are compulsory scopes for ITIL framework implementation. My view is that, the ITIL Processes and their associated Activities are compulsory (non negotiable).
If you miss out any Processes or Activities, you are only having 'myIL' and not ITIL framework.

However, I do agree that the Tasks associated with the Activities are negotiable. The tasks can be what you are practicing at the moment but if you are going for BS/ISO audit, then the tasks level must be detail enough.

So whether you wish to achieve ITIL process compliance of level1 or level5 or whatever the scopes which CEO/COO wanted, you still need to describe all Activities of Processes. You can have zero Task if the Activity is out-of-scope. But during the description of Tasks for in-scope Activities, if any Tasks which are supposed to belong to an out-of-scope Activity, you must describe those Tasks in their respective Activity as according to ITIL Framework.

ITIL and myIL, am I too paranoid?
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would assume that the organization has been performing for a while as you begin an ITIL program. So, it is likely that many of those processes/sub-processes already exist. They may not be documented. People may not even be aware that it is called "Demand Management" for instance. They may not be integrated. They may be performed in part in different departments.

I would not decide on the outset that I would not implement this or this activity. I would set my priorities and limit the scope of my first phase to the essentials to bring the most significant improvements.

The fact is that the results you are going to bring to the organization are going to help it mature. During that process, people are going to grow their understanding of the framework and the importance of the integration of processes.

My experience is that most of the discussions like the one you shared with us are due to misinterpretations or misunderstandings. They clear up as you go, as you communicate and as you gather more support.

I have heard countless times "ITIL is not religion" as a mean to tell me that we don't have to do "the whole thing". And it's true. But then as you go you realize it does make sense and, step by step, you take down the barriers...

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: