Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KBracegir
New Today: 61
New Yesterday: 92
Overall: 141405

People Online:
Visitors: 78
Members: 1
Total: 79 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Newbie!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Newbie!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
portwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: ITIL Newbie! Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a complete newbie to ITIL. I need to know a few quick answers for the questions that i have in my mind:

- How many papers does ITIL Foundation have?
- Is ITIL any different than ITSM?
- Do you need to have a strong Technical background in a fixed Technical domain before doing the ITIL Certification?
- Are there any nuggets or videos in which any professor explains the concepts of ITIL? This is 'coz i will be doing the course on a self-study basis.
- Highly recommended books / .pdf files for attaining a clear & simplistic view of the ITIL Concepts.

Thanx
Amey
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

- How many papers does ITIL Foundation have?
Just one incorporating 40 multiple choice questions.
The ISEB takes 'read and understand the question' to a new level! Ensure you read every single word of a question and the potential answers because misinterpretation could lead to an incorrect mark instead of a correct one.
It's important to know the core of each service management process as chances are they are included.

- Is ITIL any different than ITSM?
Yes. ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) is the best practice framework FOR ITSM (IT Service Management). Subsequently it has formed the basis of the standards BS15000 and now ISO20000.

- Do you need to have a strong Technical background in a fixed Technical domain before doing the ITIL Certification?
No, a technical background is not required. An understanding of IT as a business (or within a business) is crucial, as is common sense. If you have a good memory it will certainly help, but there are no technical questions on the foundation paper. It is all about the ITIL processes.

- Are there any nuggets or videos in which any professor explains the concepts of ITIL? This is 'coz i will be doing the course on a self-study basis.
I personally went on a 3 day course with the exam at the end of it but I know a lot of people go the self-study route and are successful in doing so.

To be honest I think as a minimum you will need to purchase the ITIL service support & service delivery books (or a Computer based learning course covering them) as there is no free resource (to my knowledge) that will prepare you fully for the foundation exam (and certainly not the practionar or management ones).

- Highly recommended books / .pdf files for attaining a clear & simplistic view of the ITIL Concepts.

[Edited: No links please - the forum would become a spam fest if we allowed this]

No doubt a lot of us have our own study notes - but I would say it is better to revise from the pocket book rather than other people's notes as we inherently only note down the things that appear pertinent to us given our prior body of knowledge.

Good luck!
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add that the ITIL Open Guide may be useful to you.
portwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: ITIL Newbie! Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Thanx for all your assistance... i have cleared the ITIL Foundation Certification with a score of 75! Looking forward for ITIL Practitioners! Any inputs on this one?
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cripes, I'd forgotten all about my post! Congratulations, I take it that was the EXIN board not ISEB?

In terms of practitionar exams, the questiona are really which process are you most interested in and which are most relevant to your position at work?

Rather than taking a single process practitionar exam I've heard people recommend the multi-process ones due to the increased understanding of interdependency between the processes.

There is a Change/Config/and Release exam as well as one in Service Desk/Incident/Problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: