Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AMontero
New Today: 30
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 148110

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 1
Total: 48 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Do Project Managers and Service Level Managers work together
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Project Managers and Service Level Managers work together

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leondas

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Do Project Managers and Service Level Managers work together Reply with quote

I am student studying the subject and am finding it difficult to understand whether project managers and service managers work together, or if a service manager is mainly active only when the project manager finishes. Any thoughts?
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by Service manager you mean to enquire about the relationship between Service Level Management and Project Management the answer is yes. To what level, when and how, they will work together depends on how project management is handled and how the project manager is functioning.

Projects change Services, what projects are undertaken and how they are progressing is of ciritcal interest to the Service Level Manager.

But if project managers are not initiators of the projects they are managing and have no say in the project deliverbles (and that would be rare) then they can work through change and release controls and the Change manager can handle the relationship with Serivce Level Management.

But given that in most cases a good project manager will be faced with scope and quality decisions during any project, they would at the very least consult with Service Level Management on those decisions.

More formally, for Service altering projects the Service Level Manager would be part of the project governance or steering committees.
leondas

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Cheers rjp that helps.
Lola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the best set up, but where I work, Service Management deals with the 'run' order, or those services already in production. Project Managers work more with the business on new projects or changes to existing applications.

I work closely with the project managers only so that I can update SLA's or the run order as they release new projects/applications, etc.

I'm suppose to deal with 'run' while PMO deals more with 'build'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: