Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TNlc
New Today: 29
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 146188

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 2
Total: 52 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident Closure Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident Closure Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valkner

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Incident Closure Question Reply with quote

Hello All,

If the description of an incident is the following: An incident is a threatening disturbance of an agreed service.

If I log an incident to the Service Desk, telling them my service is disturbed (eg. an application not working, or a functionality not working,....), and I get the response the issue will be resolved in the next release of my application -> Can the incident then be closed ?

ITIL theory says Nay but how do you handle such a ticket if you know people are measured in our organisation by open tickets (Dura Lex, Sed Lex). Evil or Very Mad

Although I am in favour of the ITIL approach, it is hard to tell the people otherwise, especially if their career depends on it. Twisted Evil

Help ? - Theory is not always a fine answer for all kinds of questions.

Bart Van Brabant

Last edited by valkner on Tue May 30, 2006 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh! Once again service quality buts up against labour reduction metrics....

I say a thousand times nooooooooo! (Waves fist in air). Setting targets and KPIs are two different things. Using personal KPIs to achieve process KPI targets is bad bad bad...

For just the kind of reason you state here: The variables that govern 'performance' are outside the control of the 'performee'. It just creates stress and bad practice. IMHO should be agin the law...

Answer, stop using that metric as an individual performance measure. It is a process metric, no, wait, it is an organisation metric other processes contribute to the outcome you are identifying in the closure levels.

However, if your hands are tied then either see if you can apply a special status like 'pending', or get your staff evaluations shifted to performance based on 'resolved' or worst case set them to closed.

In the end staff morale and effectiveness will have a bigger input into your overall service quality contribution than having a percentage of your incidents incorrectly closed.
valkner

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Incident Closure Reply with quote

Thanks Rich - that closes the topic (for me anyway)

Bart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: