Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: EJos
New Today: 15
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 139504

People Online:
Visitors: 79
Members: 2
Total: 81 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Level Management implementation results
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Level Management implementation results

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkverhagen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Service Level Management implementation results Reply with quote

Hello all i got a question, hoping someone could answer it.
I am currently busy with the Service Level Management proces.
At the end of the road i have to write a conclusion and advise about the results of the SLM implementation i did. So i got the question, if the SLM proces is implemented succesfully what can you write in a conclusion (about the succesfull implementation? I am thinking about "the implementation went well" & "the business now has the advantage of SLM proces" but there has to be more to write in a conclusion about a
succesfull SLM imlpementation. I am looking for some input.

Perhaps anyone got any information about benefits of a well implemented SLM proces? Any inpuit is welcome

Thanks in advantage
DV.
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the list of benefits of SLM in the books and verify/demonstrate that those objectives are achieved. But I would assume that you had objectives going into the task .. !?

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
dirkverhagen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabien wrote:
I would check the list of benefits of SLM in the books and verify/demonstrate that those objectives are achieved. But I would assume that you had objectives going into the task .. !?

Hi Fabien thanks for your information.
Offcrouse i had some objectives and i am going to write them down.
As you mention about the benefits of SLM proces can you name some for me please (as i not got a book at hand for now)
Thanks

PS any input is still welcome

Greets
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dirk,

Obviously the content of the book is copyrighted, but off the top of my head, you have:

- Established support level requirements, measurements and achieving those goals.

- An IT organization closer to business needs, therefore an increased customer satisfaction. Not especially because of a better service, but because of the perception of the quality of that service.

- Better understanding of roles and responsibilities of both parties engaged.

- Better identification of service strengths and weaknesses

- a Service Catalog that clarifies the business for both parties and allows a transparent pricing strategy.

I'm missing quite a few but those are probably the most important for me.

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
dirkverhagen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabien thanks a lot and i mean a whole lot.
This kind of input and information is very welcome.
As I not have that book (at hand) I have to search the internet.
Anyone got some more Benefits of SLM proces or some input for a SLM implementation conclusion?

thanks a lot

Greetings
PS Fabien if you want a SLA/Service Catalogue temple i've got it for you PM me
ITILMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: SLM - where did it get me Reply with quote

Hi Dirk,

this could be quite a large topic if others chime in but I have some thoughts. Whilst SLM does provide visibility to customers, (I will call everyone customers unless I need to make the distinction) that is only a high level benefit.

MAny people view SLM as a very reactive process where we run reports at the end of the month and we dearly hope that we have done better than last month and have come close to meeting our targets.

I look at SLM as a very proactive discipline that I want to engrain in the other processes so I do things to make sure I meet my SLA's. Taking this approach a clear benefit should be that we focus within the Incident, Service Request and Change processes on resolving / completing these are within our SLA framework. The more focus we have on how an Incident affects my SLA the better I can prioritise it and effectively deal with it so another benefit would be better resource utilisation.

And all these things should lead to better achievement of SLA's.

If you have done some benchmarking beforehand you may be able to actually point to a decrease in the time to resolve Incidents by type or Priority as the resolvers now have targets that they will be measured on. If you have not done a customer satisfaction survey before you rolled out SML now would be a good time so as hopefully you can track this as well.

Are these all benefits of SLM alone? Well of course not as they actually rely on us doing the other processes reasonably well to start with. SLM should give all those involved in the processes a clear focus on what they have to achieve and work towards that.

Good luck
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DV,

when reporting back to management on your implementation, your focus should be on presenting a realistic assesment of the process capabilities you have put in place.

You should support this by clearly indicating the positive effects those capabilities are having.

So you would outline the processes by focusing on:

What the products are: eg, SLAs, Service Catalogue etc.
What is being measured and assessed: eg, SLA acievements.
What new control points are now in place: eg, ability to identify where deliverables are not meeting agreed levels, capabilities or quality.
What business information (reports) are now being created to assist control and planning.
Where the business integration takes place: eg, how the business documents its requirements for IT services, the process for negotiating agreements, etc.

You can group all this under headings like:
Process capabilities.
Mangement controls.
Business integration.
Business intelligence and reporting.

You could support and emphasise the value of your outcomes by including initial reports of a few core KPIs for SLM, eg:

* the actual number SLAs in place
* an evaluation of the ration of formal, agreed service provision to remaining informal 'operational' services.
* the actual number of Services defined and included in the Service Catalogue.

Basically you want to say, what you have put in place, how mature it is, what the key value to the IT organisation is, and what contribution all that can be expected to make to improving the value of the services you provide.

It is best to have a pre-implementation baseline or 'internal benchmark' against which to assess and report on your implementation. However if you don't it does not mean you can't make a decent case for what you have done so far. You should however immediately start a reporting cycle on your SLM processes (probably month to month) to quickly demonstrate what it is delivering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: