Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Douglaspt
New Today: 7
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146220

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Catalog examples
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Catalog examples
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I wanted to add that I agree with Grommitt's post. Citrix, for example, is a Product, not a Service. Too many people mix Products and Services.

Examples of Services include:

- Create New Application IDs
- Create New FQDNs
- Install Software
- Reboot a Server
- Move an Organization
- Design, Build and Deliver an Application
- Decommission an Application or System
- Provision New Desktop(s)
- Provision New Server(s)
- Set Up a New Employee
- Terminate an Existing Employee
- Etc.

Services require Service Level Agreements (SLAs) that are used to set the expected boundaries for work execution against Service Requests.

Products require Operational Level Agreements (OLAs) that set operational constraints, such as up-time, upgrade windows, failover & recovery times, etc.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
ITILGUY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the IT department understands its role as an "IT service provider" to the other business lines (internal customers) within the organization. Then this should be reflected somehow in the mission statement which explains what this department is about and why it exists.

The "IT services" constitute the substance of the service catalog. Just compare this to an independent and self-sufficient business entity offering its products/services in a catalog for potential buyers. This catalog should basically cover "WHAT" you are offering ? How it is packages and delivered ? what are the applicable terms and conditions and so on so forth. Take this and adapt it to the IT services and develop a mutually agreed model with the business lines (internal customers) because as an IT service provider, you should be responding to their business needs and not just pushing technical stuff down their throats.

The other thing we need to be careful about is to view this role from the other side - the receipent side- . As a consumer of these IT services, the business lines would naturally be interested in "WHAT" they are getting and not "HOW" it is being done within the IT department. So from this viewpoint, mask the internal details regarding the IT organization, its workflows, mechanisms and procedures, the "how-to" things are done and so on so forth. Customers are not interested in these details

Practically, I would suggest documenting what you have already in place in terms of IT systems and services, figure out existing (and potential) customers (business lines within the organization) for these services, clean the inventory and refresh the content, go to your customers and get your act together.

Hope this helps
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second ITILGuy's recommendations.

I also wanted to add that a good Service Catalog is not just one for IT. In a large enterprise, many organizations provide Services. As a result, they need a Service Catalog that their customers can access, too. For this reason, a good Service Catalog is not one that is self-serving for IT but rather one that enables the entire enterprise to be successful.

If those same business units are your customers, then you owe them as good of a solution as you can provide for yourself. A centralized Service Catalog that has all enterprise Services ensures that "everyone", regardless of their role or location, has the ability to:

- Define their own Services, where Service Groups are clearly defined
- Find and see Services according to relevant Service Groups
- Publish their Services for viewing by others
- Modify their Services, while maintaining history of the modifications
- Search through the Services to find the one they need or set up reports
- Access and Invoke Services, which will generate Service Request Tasks
- Allow end users to prioritize their Service Requests according to their needs
- Allow Service Groups to prioritize Service Requests according to their work load and available Resources, etc.
- Allow everyone to report on any and all Services.
- Allow Service Groups to publish status on the Service Requests that Requestors can use to understand timeframes and deliverables
- Etc.

The list of features is very long and the above is a small subset of what's needed for a good Service Catalog.

A good Service Catalog is another one of the more complicated solutions that is intended by ITIL, along with a CMDB. It makes Service Groups and their Services accessible to everyone. Think of it as a very elaborate card catalog that allows you to invoke work and manage it as it's being performed.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Regards,
marchred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guerino1 is quite correct in his assertion that some Services Catalogues go beyond IT.

I have been tasked with developing a Services Catalogue for all services provided by our department (an Australian Federal Govt department) which provides services to a specific client group across a broad range of functions - including IT, Building & Facilities Management, Broadcasting and Transcripition Services.

I came across this site in my googling for guidance on where to start in developing the Services Catalogue and have found the comments in this thread quite enlighteneing and of great assistance.

The initial purpose of the catalogue is to provide a base-line of services so that executive (and clients) can validate what services should/should not be provided.

As a starting point for my project, for all functions that are undertaken, I'm proposing to identify:-
1. What do we do - i.e. every customer-based function?
2. Why do we do it? (I'm debating if I should do this at the moment or wait til I have the full list of functions)
3. Who is the service manager and service contact (if different)?
4. For whom do we do it - i.e. which client sub-group, if appropriate?
5. What is the level of service - i.e. when it is available?
6. Are there any output measures - SLA's, KPI's, etc's
7. Is there any published documentation/information available for this function e.g. how to use the function, how to access it, etc

Obviously a lot of the information obtained will not be part of the final Services catalogue - as it will be a Business Unit function or an enabler of a service, e.g. e-mail is an enabler of Communications Services.

I'd certainly appreaciate some advice from posters if I'm generally heading in the right direction or I should put the brakes on hard and rethink.

Cheers

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: