Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: E40Y
New Today: 35
New Yesterday: 87
Overall: 139301

People Online:
Visitors: 70
Members: 2
Total: 72 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - The ITIL Open Guide: What Is It?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ITIL Open Guide: What Is It?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: The ITIL Open Guide: What Is It? Reply with quote

Introduction
Some time ago it was suggested that a comprehensive but simple to use guide for ITIL would be universally helpful. Someone coined the phrase 'ITIL for Dummies'.

The problem is that, as useful as this would be, it would be a significant undertaking. It is not, however, impossible.

As this is a community, and relatively open, we decided that the only way to make this happen, and ensure that it is freely accessible, is to fund and support it ourselves. We created an 'open site' specifically to house it, and we installed the technology to enable it: known as 'wiki'.

The ITIL Guide open website now exists: www.itlibrary.org

How To Help Build It
By 'open' I mean that EVERYONE can edit it freely and easily. Simply go there and input definitions, explanation, etc. The technology and approach is actually called 'wiki', and it's easy:

a) To edit a page just click 'Edit this Page'. Click 'Done' when you have finished and the new page is saved.

b) New pages? You will see some terms had a '?' next to them. Click on this and a brand new page will open for you to populate with the description.

c) To create a totally new page, simply insert underscore (_) at the start and end of the phrase and between the words in it, on an existing page. A question mark will appear as above.

That's all there is to it.

Let's Do It: Welcome on Board!
With a little input from enough people we can build the definitive guide for ITIL, written in everyday simple language. It just takes that bit of effort.

If you contribute you are also very welcome to add your name to the list of contributors. Equally, you can add your own page from there to tell the ITIL community who you are, if you wish to.

So.... if you have knowledge on ITIL... please help out here. Let's create something really useful and worthwhile!

The ITIL Open Guide
PeterHMBrooks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Wiki an excellent way to go! Reply with quote

I think that the wiki is an excellent way to go. It now turns up on google searches and is cross-referenced from wikipaedia that has really been taking off this past several months.

I think that it needs a bit more advertising to other users to be useful - and maybe some more topics that have general appicability.

I'd like to add some myself, but I find that there seems to be some problem with the set-up. Maybe this has put off other people from adding things...

When I edit a page, it opens it up for edit, as it should, but, when I press either 'save' or 'done', all it does is go back to the original page - without accepting the changes!

I'd like to add short articles and links to the itSMF, and the IoSM as well as some information on the Business Perspective - for starters.

I'm also meaning to use this as a linking place from my web-site for standard articles - this will increase the hits from google considerably over time.

If it is easy for people to add information, this should become a really handy resource.

Is there any other reason why not much has happened over the past year?

As far as I can see, wikis take a while to be established, but, once they reach a critical mass they grow really quickly and become extremely useful.

I think it would also be useful to have a job offered/wanted advertisement section in the wiki that can point to other job links and is searchable by country as well as discipline. If actual advertisements can be set to expire after a period (otherwise you end up with ancient stuff and nobody is interested) it could be come a really useful site.

People prefer wikis, once they get used to them, because they aren't proprietory, don't force particular points of view and are easy to keep really up to date.
ITILadmin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I've answered most of this in the other thread. It is very much alive and kicking, but a slow grower. Having said that, as you have seen, quite a lot of useful content has already been added.

If you could 'feedback' the pages you are struggling to edit using the option on the left, I will have them looked at and sorted out.

Regarding inserting external links, this is somewhat of a 'no-no'. This is to prevent the wiki becoming a spam fest. Various commercial interests are added every day, largely to totally unrelated rubbish. They are of course deleted within hours. However, the last thing required is to encourage this, so the best bet is simply to prohibit links altogether. Hopefully this makes sense.

Regarding advertising, there is no budget for this as it is a public service effort, rather than a commercial site. However, despite this, the wiki is becoming quite well known. Any extra help is always appreciated though, by the whole team (which is basically everyone who has ever contributed to the content!).

Thanks

Louise
Forum Admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Open Guide All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: