Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: VMwlGOywot
New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 150040

People Online:
Visitors: 57
Members: 2
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Infrastructures & Applications
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Infrastructures & Applications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Infrastructures & Applications Reply with quote

Hi, asking for help again here.

I'm not very clear about the relationship roles between infrastructures and applications ,as they are frequently involved in ITIL.
Would anybody pls give me some instructions or suggestions ?

Thank you in advantage !

Best Regards,
Kathy
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Foundation for a good CMDB Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

It depends on who you ask. I'll give you my own perspectives.

In short "Software Applications run on Hardware Servers" or Software Assets leverage Hardware Assets.

The longer answer is a bit more complicated. I don't know if you're interested but I'll throw it out here, just in case:

There are really two different things: Products and Assets.

A Product is a specification or a definition. An Asset is a specific instance of a specific Product.

A hardware example is that you have the definition of a "Server Model XYZ" that you can read about on a web site or from a spec catalog. You may have 1000 of these servers in your enterprise. They are all Assets and specific "instances" of this Product that are physical and tangible.

Software (i.e. Applications) is a little different....

A software example is that you have a Product that is called "My Business Calculation System". Again, this is a Product spec or definition. You may have 5 instances of this system running "on" one or more of the hardware servers. These 5 software instances are "virtual" and non-tangible Assets.

Now, it gets interesting...

The software Product is called "My Business Calculation System"
The 5 software instances are labeled: S1, S2, S3, S4, and S5 and are software Assets.

This means that each software Asset (instance) has a relationship back to the reference Product "My Business Calculation System".

The hardware Product is called "Server Model XYZ"
The 5 servers that the software instances are running on are H1, H2, H3, H4, and H5 and are hardware Assets.

this means that each hardware Asset (instance) has a relationship back to the reference Product "Server Model XYZ".

The application/software instances run on the hardware instances. (Let's make it easy and say that S1 runs on H1, S2 on H2, etc. although, it can get very complicated when dealing with large scale distributed systems.) In this case, there is a relationship between each software instance and each hardware instance that it runs on.

S1 has a relationship to H1 (or vice versa)
S2 has a relationship to H2 (or vice versa)
etc.

Therefore, if it's done correctly, you have complete traceability between all Assets and all Products. Some Assets are instances of hardware, some of software. Some Products are hardware, some are software.

This is the foundation for a good CMDB.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Kathy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Foundation for a good CMDB Reply with quote

Thanks Guerino1, from what you said, it seems to me that the applications equal to software while infrastructures equl to hardware,do they?

However, I understand what you mean by saying about "products and assets".

Besides, I want to know more aspects about the relationships between applications and infrastructures, as it's a big task for me which will take one month to be completed.

And I want to know if the ICT Infrastructure Management and Application Management corresponding to Infrastructures and Applications separately? Could I compare them from this aspect?

Thank you again!
Kathy ^_^
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Foundation for a good CMDB Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

Kathy wrote:
Thanks Guerino1, from what you said, it seems to me that the applications equal to software while infrastructures equl to hardware,do they?

Yes, an application is typically associated with software. Some people will associate it with systems. It really doesn't matter, as along as you're capturing the dependencies.

Quote:
And I want to know if the ICT Infrastructure Management and Application Management corresponding to Infrastructures and Applications separately? Could I compare them from this aspect?

In theory they should be 100% identical. However, I believe this is one of the areas where the OGC has made some errors. The framework for technology operations is pretty straight forward. I believe they've overcomplicated it and made it different between the SW and infrastructure domains.

Regards,
victory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could somebody throw some light on "relationships between Services, applications and infrastructures" and how it is handled in CMDB?

Thanks in advance,
VICTORY Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: