Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CLuffman
New Today: 31
New Yesterday: 60
Overall: 139581

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 2
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Is ITIL suited to website management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ITIL suited to website management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
infofreako

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Is ITIL suited to website management Reply with quote

Hi all - I need some advice on the suitablity or otherwise of ITIL as a framework for website management.

I look after a large website but I'm part of an organisation which provides a number of more traditional IT services to external customers and is going down the ITIL route. Obviously, the website has a need for incident/change management, etc like any other IT service but I can't really see where to fit in with the service management side of things - our customer feedback is largely through web stats - ie people voting with their feet. I can see how ITIL makes sense in for our IT services but treating the website as a service is feeling like a bit of a kludge to me at the moment.

Can anyone give me an example of where a website has been successfully ITIL-ised and how? Any advice gratefully accepted Smile
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Info,

I work for a company in the Netherlands which hosts some fairly large websites. I actually used to work with the web-dept. as a process manager and I found that they were in a business which is faster than the "old fashioned" ICT services. Some people call the web-dept. cowboys Wink
Therefor, I found it necesary to allow them a fair bit of freedom in their operations, compared to other departments. For instance: by giving the webdept. the means to "promote" CABchanges to standard changes, they were more flexible in executing these. Also, the customer was given greater responsibility in the go/no go for a change. After all, change management is not only about controlling a change, but also about actually getting the change done. The emphasis (controlling with the risk of delay, or getting it done with the risk of disruptions) depends on the business needs.

I don't know the nature of your website, but it is my experience that a customer for a webservice finds service delivery (i.e. service availability, capacity, continuity) more important than service support (i.e. incident, change management etc.). What is the status of the service delivery processes in your company? Obviously a topic such as availability can only be implemented well if the customer makes clear through proper service (level) management what his needs are: availability 100% /7x24 is different to 95% / 5x8 for instance.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
infofreako

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks m_croon - this is a useful clarification for me. Your observation about service delivery being more important than service support for websites is very helpful and matches with my experience. Our focus has largely been service support processes so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: