Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TMccloud
New Today: 12
New Yesterday: 166
Overall: 131076

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 3
Total: 61 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CMDB: What is? Who Make and What contain?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CMDB: What is? Who Make and What contain?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clebers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: CMDB: What is? Who Make and What contain? Reply with quote

Hello,

My friends, I have some questions to do:

(Answer in agreement with your opinion)

1. What is CMDB?
2. How do I make a CMDB?
3. Which tools (Software) I can use to create a CMDB?
4. What should CMDB contain?

I thank the help.

Cleber Marques
MCP - MCDST - ITIL FOUDATION
[url]clebers@attglobal.net[/url]
São Paulo - SP. Brasil
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: CMDB: What is? Who Make and What contain? Reply with quote

Hello Cleber,

Please see my responses, embedded below...

clebers wrote:
1. What is CMDB?

A Configuration Management Database is a data warehouse that allows you to see the details associated with the entities you track and the relationships between them. It is the tool you use to manage your configurations.

Quote:
2. How do I make a CMDB?

The building of a CMDB is a very complicated and expensive undertaking. Many of the requirements for a CMDB have been posted in other threads in this topic.

Quote:
3. Which tools (Software) I can use to create a CMDB?

This is a vague question. Since an adequate CMDB requires so much, the answer to this can be very large.

Quote:
4. What should CMDB contain?

All entities your enterprise needs to track as well as all the relationships between them.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Regards,
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleber,

Regarding 4 (what should it contain), you should take the following steps:

1. Who are the users of the information in the cmdb?
2. Why do they want this information (how important is it)?
3. Define the scope: what kind of infrastructure do you want to register. If cmdb-users like the service desk from your department only support mainframe, than you don't have to register pc's. If they support the automated coffee machine, you also might want to register these machines.
4. Define the depth (and therefor: define the separate configuration items): if you have decided on the scope, and (as an example) you know you want to register pc's, do you want to register the monitor, the keyboard and the pc itself as separate entities in your database, or do you want to register them as one. The same question goes for software (every patch a separate entry in the db?), coffee machines etc. For an organisation with heavy graphical/video use, it might be usefull to even make a separate registration for a pc video card.
5. Define the atributes: What kind of info do you want to register for your configuration items (room, wall outlet, supplier, owner, user, price, mac adress, memory etc). Be aware: the more atributes, the costlier it will be to maintain the cmdb.
6. Define relations between configuration items. Which software configuration item is installed on which server? Which switch connects to which router? Which monitor belongs to which pc?

Especially with a succesfull #6 (relations between c.i.'s), you will be able to prove the importance and contribution of configuration management to most users of the cmdb.

Always remember that you should continue to ask yourself and other people involved what the costs and benefits are of defining and maintaining a cmdb.

Good luck,

Michiel
ranjithraghunathan
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clebers -

I suggest you go through the ITIL foundation materials once again.
Because the questions you have asked are basics and are very much there in the materials.

Start with Configuration Items, definition, attributes, relationship with other CIs etc.
Then go through Configuration Management team objectives, goals, functions.
Go through Configuration Management database thereby and then come back to Problem Management, Change Management and go through the CMDB dependence of these teams.

This will give answers to all your questions.

After the above, I suggest get back to this topic under this forum and go through all the postings under Configuration Management and you will be at par with the basics and a little more.

P.S - Most of my posts are to understand the ITIL fundamentals clearly. So please excuse if not genuine answers to questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: