Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: VV40
New Today: 36
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 146136

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 1
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - SD & IM Procedure and Work Instruction Documents
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SD & IM Procedure and Work Instruction Documents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: SD & IM Procedure and Work Instruction Documents Reply with quote

Hi!

I have been assigned with the task of helping my organisation to implement ITIL. We are implementing 9 processes except Financial Management.. ( dont know how many of you think its wierd )

We are using IBM (Remedy) to provide us out of box solutions for ITIL (such a head ache going through their process documents and correcting the mistakes ) There were plenty of basic mistakes.... to name a few.. Exception change goes through without Change Manager's approval... ( how nutty was that?).

My task is to audit all the process and identify its fall backs. help the process managers to perform the day to day job ..

I am starting with helping the process managers to create procedure and work instruction documents

SD & IM with their documents.

I am currently struck with creating Procedure and Work instructions for the SD & IM.

This is how I have decided to go about the documents

Process Documents --> Procedure Documents --> Work Instructions --> Report formats.

Procedure Documents : How to decide on the priority, details required for categorization of incidents , details for incident identification, Standard questions to ask the users based on the category... Escalation Policy....

Work Instructions : How to create (RFC, Incident Ticket, Request for service) /assign/close documents using the tools.

I really do not know If i am in the right track. Can some one help me please?

Vimzie
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vimzie,

One of the mistakes that is often made when implementing ITIL, is that an organisation wants to implement all processes at once. This will most likely cause a wide spread of resourcing and management attention. ITIL is a best practice, and nothing more than that. That means that you should use those parts of it that will solve any real problem that might exist within your organisation.

Therefor, the first thing I should do is let management decide on which processes deserve highest priority (based on solving any organisational or tech. problem). Depending on the maturity of your organisation, I would never focus on more than 3 processes at the same time.

Your order of documents is a logical one, since there is a lot of hierarchical relation between the topics that they cover. At the same time, unless you are facing an external audit (ISO etc.), putting the stuff on paper will only describe "what should be". May I suggest that you also try to get some quick wins (practical improvements, which will be noticed by all stakeholders (employees, customers, proces managers, management) on a short notice. Have a look at the 8 stages of John P Kotter (Harvard) on the management of change (google on Kotter). This has nothing to do with ITIL but what he says is very true.

Also: have you considered starting the (provisionary) reports first and do the other docs mentioned later? Although you face the risk that you want to change some of the reports after you are done with the documents, you will gain a quicker insight in the achievements of your organisation. Spent one afternoon (and nothing more) to define a temporary report: logged / closed disruptions and changes, open disruptions/changes per team, % of servicedesk calls answered and just start reporting. This way, you will also have an instrument to measure if any process improvement actually has any effect.

Hope this helps,

Michiel
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michiel,

The article was pretty good and clearly pointed out the problems which we are facing at the moment. Smile Too many processes implemented at the same time. Resistance to change and also as you pointed out too many resource requirements

Well anyways, I have decided to concentrate on Incident , Configuration and Change management. ( well this decision is thoroughly mine as the management is bent on implementing all the processes and tools )

We are also in the process of consolidating all our group of companies IT infrastructure. We are also implementing Tivoli ( i know its ho my god!!!)

Iam taking your suggestion of creating provisional reports to measure and gain some quick wins. At the same time will try and keep creating the documents.

Adding on the difficulties in preparing the work instructions and procedure documents. My organisation has requested IBM to provide us with Remedy v7 as it is more user friendly and align to ITIL .

Thanks for your guidance.

Vimzie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: