Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KGoodisso
New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146046

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 0
Total: 62

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Cannot get a Service Desk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot get a Service Desk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dean320

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Cannot get a Service Desk Reply with quote

Hello everyone. First time poster here.

I work for a company that has multiple divisions organized into groups. I have responsibilty for 1 group with 4 distinct (geographicaly, operationally, and product related) companies. My team serves as first and second level support and users get to them by phone, email, walk up, etc.

I have lost the battle to get a service desk, and am looking for input on the best way to handle calls. We have thought of self service, but anticipate users will reject it. We are thinking of limiting reporting of problems to a phone call to a single number (in each company) and email to a single mailbox (again within each company). I essentially have 2 people at each company and am concerned that we will miss SLAs for response to requests because my people are out working issues.

Anyone out there in a similar situation? How are you handling it?
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Can I just get a little more information please? When you say that you've been unsuccessful in getting a service desk, do you mean dedicated staff to log and/or resolve calls for all areas or are you referring to a call logging tool?

If you do have some form of call logging tool then putting in the single point of contact (phone, e-mail, intranet?) means that you have a virtual service desk across multiple sites. It doesn't have to be in one place with dedicated staff to be a 'service desk'.

We are across multiple sites but we do have dedicated resource to man a virtual help desk (HD operators log into the phone system from multiple sites but all using the same call logging tool).

I don't want to assume anything further so do post with more detail, thanks!
dean320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service desk - we will not be able to get a dedicated staff to answer and log calls. We are in the process of installing Track It as an incident management tool.

I agree about the virtual Help Desk, however, my team serves 4 distinct companies within a larger holding company. The challenge is identifying 1 or 2 people that can always be watching the queue of tickets. And again, since we have 4 distinct companies whose tickets would all go into the same queue, managing that could get challenging.

I think we can pull it off, but each company is very independent of the others and it will just take time.

It sounds like you are where I want to get to
jeffendy
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that you are not getting support from the stakeholders. To be successful in this kind of situation will be very hard (if we don't want to say impossible). I also surprise to see that you are pushed to meet the SLA. In the ITIL book 'Planning to Implement Service Management', it is clearly mentioned that the program (Continuous Service Improvement Program) must be supported in the entire organization.

Using single telephone number (has an auto-forward feature enabled in the PABX) is a good decision. E-mail and fax can also help to reduce the phone calls. You can also think of using sms gateway server to send an sms to your team who is on duty. Now, it is time for you to start communicating to the end users about this arrangement. Create your communication plan. You should communicate to the end users continuously.

In the company where I work for, we have a helpdesk (second line helpdesk for hardware issues) to support 10 customers now. Some of our customers have offices that are spreading all over Indonesia. We just operating for 6 months and majority of the incidents are reported through e-mail from the customer's helpdesk (first line helpdesk). From more than 1000 incidents that we have handled, only 1 incident reported via phone call. Some incidents are reported through fax. And we just utilize one person to log the incidents.

A short explanation on how we work:

- The first line helpdesk is reporting the incident through e-mail to us. We give them the e-mail template when we perform the communication.
- We log the incident and decide who will handle. We will find the nearest Service Center and assign the ticket to them. They will receive a notification through e-mail and act upon receiving the e-mail.
- Once they complete the job, they will report back to us via telephone, e-mail, or sms.
- We then call the user to get confirmation and close the ticket.

I think this is almost the same with your case, where the only difference is the first line helpdesk. In your case the first line helpdesk is the end users.

Before we can do the above mentioned process, we also communicate to the first line helpdesk who will use our support. So, communication to the affected persons is very important.

Best regards,
James Effendy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: