Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: BrittneyL
New Today: 6
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 144710

People Online:
Visitors: 69
Members: 2
Total: 71 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Implementing Change Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Implementing Change Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Implementing Change Management Reply with quote

Currently we are implementing Change Management in our organisation.

Facing difficulties in getting people use the tool (Remedy) .

I'm looking for other alternatives to just get people to use the services of Change Management and to ensure all changes are recorded

Created a paper based RFC form, which includes details to be filled in by change requester, change approver, change management & Change Implementer. which will be later entered into the tool by the service desk. Am I on the right track here?

Is there any alternatives? can some one provide some advice?

Vimzie
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fighter,

Anti-change is a very common reaction in most organizations. There is always resistance against change so the only way it will ever happen falls under two scenarios:

1) The first is that it is mandated to them from upper management. If their jobs and/or bonuses are on the line, many people will do what they have to, regardless of whether or not it makes sense to them. Hopefully, management would only mandate things that make sense. People don't really like to be forced to do things but they should be reminded that the vision and goals of any enterprise are typically not those of a democracy. This sounds harsh but it is a reality that most people don't like to deal with, as people always want to believe that they have a hand in their desitinies and those of the enterprise they work for.

2) The second is that the solution put forth is valuable enough that they can see the value, themselves, and instantly move toward leveraging it with no coersion from management or peers. This is typically not as common. Most people are too busy performing their tactical responsibilities to even look at other options that will help them improve what they do. This tends to be mroe common when someone is suffering a great enough pain that entices them to look for something better. Hopefully, what you're offering them is positioned to obviously and quickly help alleviate their pain.

In either case, you want to have a value proposition that shows the true value of using such a proposed solution to solve both their problems and those of the enterprise. If you can prove such a value proposition to management, they will support you. If you can prove such a value proposition to employees they will support you.

As for tools that generate natural use and support, in this day and age enterprises tend to look for two things in their tools: 1) Solutions that are lightweight and quick, typically those that comply with Web 2.0 requirements, and 2) solutions that represent "whole-picture" solutions to their problems, for example those that solve as many ITIL disciplines as possible, all in one tool and require no on sight customization, development, upgrades, maintenance and support.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Regards,
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

Thanks for your valuable comments.

The problem we face here is deeper than just enforcing people to use. We have a culture issue. I'm currently in Thailand helping my company to implement ITIL.

Employees find it very hard to speak or read english. They find the tools hard to understand.

Most employees quit their jobs if they are been told off by thier superiors. (I know its funny). The managers are quite reluctant to enforce anything just by force. They like to bide time to do things.

Anyhow the good news is the top-management is very co-operative and willing to stand behind implementing ITIL. Management is planning to include ITIL process implementing in the manger's objectives.

Hence to over come the problem, we thought we can make things easier if we have a manual RFC ( more in lay man terms rather than technical words ) which can circulate around the teams before the Change is actually implemented. As most of the memo's and processes are still paper based.

If any one has any tricks in the trade which they would like to share please let me know.

Vimzie.
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vimzie,

I realy cannot help you too much with the language problem. In a previous post, we already discussed Kotter so you know about his 8 steps.

I'd try and do 2 things:
1. Go for quick wins. Make people aware of the benefits of proper CHM by realizing short term positive effects. A change calendar communicated to customers? Less strain on resourcing in out of office hours by focussing on release windows? etc.

2. Are you familiar with the plan-do-check-act cyclus from Deming?
* Make a plan
* Execute it
* See what the results are, and
* Decide how you need to re-adjust your plan to improve further.

The trick is to find ways to have this cycle in place as a perpetum mobile. Many organisations do not succeed in this. Especially the fourth (Act) is very dificult to achieve. This has to do with reporting periodicly (weekly/monthly) and to actualy do something with those reports (management commitment): adress them in management team, communicate with employees etc. If you can find some way (which will depend on the setting of your organisation, therefor it is hard for me to be more explicit) to close this cycle (have it in continuous motion).

The good thing you write is that the management stands behind efforts to implement ITIL. Therefor, maybe you can start with them. Why not organise a workshop with management team and maybe some other key players from the organisation, and explicitly adress quick wins and plan-do-check-act. Let them think of quick wins themselves, and let them tell what they find important about reporting.

Hope this helps,

Michiel
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vimzie

I am already operating a paper system for Change - if you wish, I can send you copies of my RFC and Release documents, along with the procedure for filling them in - easily modified for your use, just send me a mail to

edward underscore wadey at yahoo dot co dot uk.

I would stress with your workforce that any feedback from them to you is seen as a learning opportunity, rather than a blame position. I also have a simplified version of the process flow for Change if this is of any use (it goes on a single page, rather than 3).

Regards

Ed
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fighter,

It's a great start that management supports it. I wasn't implying that management force the decision upon the employees in a negative way. But, if they want to implement change, they will have to come up with a positive method for allowing such change to slowly penetrate the old culture. In this case, I would simply recommend that you move on path to positively and slowly change the culture in favor of ITIL, such as internal education programs and incentive programs.

Also, I don't know what character set your country uses but have you looked into tools that allows you to leverage your own language? Our own tool is limited to the AlphaNumeric character set but does allow users to rename all attributes to what they want. However, it doesn't allow allow the renaming of the entities and all reference data and it doesn't support character sets that are non-AphaNumeric. Are there any other options that you have looked into for this?

If you can't find tools that support this, then I recommend whole-heartedly that you use nothing but spreadsheet based forms and focus on the most important issue, which is adoption of the process. After all, the process is what you want them to adopt, not the tool(s). Have you mapped out your processes and the value proposition behind them, so that you can communicate all of it to the employees in their natural language? I would believe this to be a great start.

Regards,
ueuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

I have posted a similiar problem as fighter but slightly different scenario to the forum.

The documents you refer to, can I also request a copy of those especially one page change control flow.

Please advise,

Thank you.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umber

I have mailed the docs back to you at 07:30 am (my time)

Regards

Ed
ueuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fighter,

Howz "Remedy" as a change management tool?
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ueuniverse wrote:
Hello Fighter,

Howz "Remedy" as a change management tool?

Hello ueuniverse,

While I can't speak for fighter, I can provide you with the general feedback we're getting from many existing Remedy users (prospects, converted cients, and associates we have). Here's what we're getting:

Pros:
- Strong Brand Name
- Large User Community & Market Presence
- Flexible for customization
- Part of a large and highly established portfolio of solutions offered by BMC

Cons:
- Has a very expensive up-front investment cost
- Requires a great deal of post purchase customization with a large investement in this
- Requires an expensive investment in dedicated infrastructure, resources, training, and year-over-year packagine, testing, upgrades, maintenance, etc.
- Has very poor analytical reporting
- Does not have "real" integration between Incident, Problem, Change, and other critical enterprise entities, such as BMC's CMDB. As a result, can't see what's impacted, who's impacted, asset info, configuration info, etc.
- Is expensive and difficult to integrate to other BMC tools, let alone other vendor tools.
- Slow performance (cripples itself and users under high data volumes)
- Is considered to be nothing more than an expensive front end form to a slow database

If anyone has anymore information they can add to this, please feel free to do so.

Regards,
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fighter,

The first question I would ask

What is the purpose of the Change Management process, procedure and the tool ?

Did MGMT merely buy a tool thinking that the tool will solve a basic problem?

I have a limited experience w/Remedy. However, from what I have used of it, it does have a work flow process. Use the tool for all the manual work.

John Hardesty
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

John,

Answer to your question

Did MGMT merely buy a tool thinking that the tool will solve a basic problem?

Yes, I may not be able to provide the reason(s) behind the decision.
I have joined recently with this company (3 months old).

I am trying to help all the process manager's & Members to understand the process, tools and help them to create procedures for their processes.

Remedy is good and as you had mentioned it has a good work flow. Remedy has been installed and customised based on my vendor's experience with ITIL.

Remedy Reporting tool is useless. There is so much of work to be done if you would like to get any report from the tool.

Our IT team is consolidated from various IT teams from our Group of Companies. Hence there is not much of maturity in our IT Operations.

Even though most of the IT team has been trained what ITIL is and what the benefits are.. Since English is not their native language, they struggle to understand. Because of this, The tools has not been used inspite of requests, threat to the staff from Management.

To simplyfy and make them to understand Change Management, I decided to create a Paper based RFC with most of the terms which is used in the Remedy and also a document on how to use the RFC. And more importantly I have translated the document into thai leaving alone the key ITIL words in english. Once, the form is filled up, the change co-ordinator enters the data into Remedy and issues the Change Number.

Its just two weeks since I kicked off this paper based RFC. But trust me its results are showing. People are feeling little bit more comfortable and they are starting to use Paper based RFC for Change. Even then few are struggling to come to terms with the new concept. Its just first step and slowly will be encouraging them to use the tool sooner than later.

For those interested in knowing about Remedy 7. Just had a demo on Remedy 7. Remedy Version 7 is more organised. Even though there is not much of change in the reporting bit. The work flow is clearly defined in the tool which would make it bit more user friendly.

Vimzie!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the paper one has started working, I have a suggestion

Do you use MS Office ?

You can use the MS Word forms you created as department templates and use one of the email features to send the change along the electronic world and using the paper world

Pick a few people to test this.

This should prepare the culture for an eventual electronic version

Face it... If you treat the people like smart dogs (not insulting) by using the train and rewared method, you csan get them to do a whole lot for you

BTW: How many Changes a month

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have started creating E-Forms for Change & Release Management. Hopefully will make people to start using it sooner than later!

As far as the Changes are concerned.

We are in the process of consolidating all the IT across our group of Companies 20 companies to be precise. And also we provide data centre co-location services to internal as well as external customers.

We have on a average 2-3 Major changes/Release every month. Yes, the resources are stretched to their maximum limit. The top management is putting in lots of money and effort to consolidate and control the money spent on IT across the organisation.

In addition to the above mentioned, we also do have around 30 Minor / No impact changes.

Can I know the story on your side please? your setup, change's etc. anything you would like to share.. If you would want to share it personally please write it to me vimal dot rajasekaran at gmail dot com.

In additon to the above I'm training the IT staffs on ITIL and setting the priorities right for the exisitng structure. The other Process we are currently concentrating on are ( CCR & IM SD). We have also started the ground work for Service Delivery Processes.

Cheers!!
Vimzie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: