Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MKayser
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 139562

People Online:
Visitors: 48
Members: 1
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Auditing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auditing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tolman101
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Auditing Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am thinking about how to audit the IM and PM processes in our organisation. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might begin with this and the kind of questions I should be asking etc?

We have defined our IM and PM processes, but I need to find out how closely we adhere to it today so that we can measure improvements. One way I suppose is by asking for proof in the IR's and PR's.

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks, Matt
Marcel
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First define the objective and scope of your audit. What is important to the business (from an IM & PM perspective) that you want to see confirmed?

E.g., if you want to verify that incidents are handled in accordance with their severity, you may want to use metrics to generate reports that will show you what percentage of severity 1 incidents were resolved within the target resolution time for that severity level, and so on. In this case you would probably also sample a bunch of incident tickets and verify if they were set to the correct severity level. Then, if you find that many tickets were misclassified (i.e. set to the wrong severity level), you would want to dig deeper and find out why this happened (maybe because of insufficient training of support staff). This would be a follow-up to your audit though; your audit is only to verify.

So again, identify what you want to verify with your audit. The audit then focuses on:
- does it exist?
- is it documented?
- is reality in accordance with what is documented?

The first two parts are usually the easier parts. Once you have those and you know your objective and scope, you can then determine how you can verify reality versus the documentation, e.g. through:
- available metrics/reports in your ticket tracking system
- evaluating sample cases against the documentation
- surveys of staff (be careful who you pick; your source needs to be reliable)

Hope this helps.

Marcel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: