Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CaroleCard
New Today: 69
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 150019

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 0
Total: 53

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Process Maturity Template
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Process Maturity Template

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winz
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Process Maturity Template Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Does anyone in here have a problem management process maturity template to a maturity audit. Since this is my first time I am finding it a little difficult to analyse things and get the data.

Any help is a huge welcome.

Cheers
Winz
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Winz,
I do not know if you are familiar with the IT Service Capability Maturity Model (CMM), that's not part of ITIL. It defines 5 Maturity Levels. Below are a list of maturity levels compiled for ITIL processes based on the CMM (I got this one from an internet search as part of my preparation for the Service Manager exam).

- Abscence: "There is absolutely no evidence of any activities supporting the process".

- Initiation: "There are ad-hoc activities present, but we are not aware of how they relate to each other within a single process".
No dedicated resources or real commitment.

- Awarness: "We are aware of the process but some activities are still incompleteor incomsistent; there is no overall measuring or control"
Process drivem by tool rather than defined separate from tool.

- Control: "The process is well defined, understood, and implemented".
Tasks, responsibilities and authorizations are well defined and communicated.
Targets for quality are set and results are measured.

- Integration: "Inputs to this process come from other well controlled processes; outputs from this process go to other well controlled processes."
Quality and performance metrics transferred between processes.

- Optimization: "This process drives quality improvements and new business opportunities beyond the process"
Evidence of innovation.
Quality management and continuous improvment activities embedded.

I hope I understood well your question and provided a useful answer.

Cheers,
Z!
winz
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ziad,

I do have an understanding of the CMMi Framework. Your inputs has helped me collect some points.

Can live with that for the moment. If you can get some more areas specific to Problem Management it will be great.
For example: At Level 1 - the follwoing checks shold be made or Maybe For Level 3 - the following things should be in place.

My apologies if I was not clear earlier on what I had to convey.

Cheers
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Winz,
Lets try to score some points on these maturity levels by asking the questions that will help for maturity measurement.

- Abscense: At this level the organization do not have any processes and underlying procedures in place. So we do not have a process to measure its maturity.

- Initial:
Do we have an owner for the Problem Management process?
Are the staff bypassing the procedures and relying on personal methods to solve problems?
When under pressure, is the process sacrificed with management knowledge?
Is the staff aware of the importance of the process to IT and to the business?

- Awarness:
Are the roles and responsibilities well defined?

- Control:
Sorry I can't figure out anything here !!! Sad

- Integration:
Are other processes being disrupted by the bad quality of input given by Problem Management?
Are the inputs for problem managements (outputs from other processes) well defined and communicated properly?

- Optimization:
Is there any Process Improvement Program taking place?
Is improvement planned to achieve the organization's objectives?
Is improvement evaluated and deployed using pre-defined and agreed methodology?

That's all I was able to come up with at a glance, maybe further thinking will add some points... Let me know how it will go with you.

Cheers,
Z!
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Winz,
Lets try to score some points on these maturity levels by asking the questions that will help for maturity measurement.

- Abscense: At this level the organization do not have any processes and underlying procedures in place. So we do not have a process to measure its maturity.

- Initial:
Do we have an owner for the Problem Management process?
Are the staff bypassing the procedures and relying on personal methods to solve problems?
When under pressure, is the process sacrificed with management knowledge?
Is the staff aware of the importance of the process to IT and to the business?

- Awarness:
Are the roles and responsibilities well defined?

- Control:
Sorry I can't figure out anything here !!! Sad

- Integration:
Are other processes being disrupted by the bad quality of input given by Problem Management?
Are the inputs for problem managements (outputs from other processes) well defined and communicated properly?

- Optimization:
Is there any Process Improvement Program taking place?
Is improvement planned to achieve the organization's objectives?
Is improvement evaluated and deployed using pre-defined and agreed methodology?

That's all I was able to come up with at a glance, maybe further thinking will add some points... Let me know how it will go with you.

Cheers,
Z!
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Have the scope and objectives of the process been defined?
2. Do you investigate the underlying root cause of incidents, and track the progress of the investigation under a Problem Record?
3. Do you monitor incidents for further occurrences of the problem and update the record with the number of occurrences?
4. Do you categorise open problem records under standard descriptions?
5. Do you assign a priority to each open problem record?
6. Do you identify major problems by their impact, urgency and priority, and expedite the investigation and diagnosis processes to minimise business impact and restore normal service as soon as possible?
7. If a workaround is found, do you communicate details of the workaround to the Service Desk, and update the problem record accordingly?
8. Do you implement fixes to problems under change control?
9. Do you monitor the infrastructure after implementation of the fix to ensure resolution?
10. Do you receive and obtain information on known errors from developers, third party suppliers, maintainers and development teams?
11. Do you perform trend analysis on incident data?
12. Do you target preventative measures to prevent incidents occurring?
13. Does the process have an owner, who is responsible for its day-to-day management and ongoing development?
14. Are those performing the process aware of how to do so?
15. Are the customers and end users of the process aware of it and conforming to it?
16. Are the tasks within the process documented?
17. Does the Problem Management process exchange information with other processes?
18. Have the staff performing the process received appropriate training on the tasks, tools and any technical skills required to perform the process?
19. Are tools used to assist in the execution of the process?
20. Is the performance of the process measured against specific targets and Key Performance Indicators?
21. Are users of the process regularly surveyed to measure customer satisfaction with the process?
22. Does the process have a continuous service improvement program by which deficiencies in the process are identified and improvements implemented?

These are few sample maturity assessment widely available..

You can choose your areas and drill down to the detail..

Hope this helps!!

Vimzie!!
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Winz,
Just a note that may or may not add value to your query. I never went through the Appendixes in the OGC books, and while looking at appendix B from the Service Support book the following jumped to my attention.

"Processes, once defined, should be under control; once under control, they can be repeated and become manageable".

I can figure out four (4) process maturity levels from this statement:
- Defined
- Controlled
- Repeated
- Manageable

You can correlate those with the points discussed earlier if you want.

Cheers,
Z!
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Winz,
Just a note that may or may not add value to your query. I never went through the Appendixes in the OGC books, and while looking at appendix B from the Service Support book the following jumped to my attention.

"Processes, once defined, should be under control; once under control, they can be repeated and become manageable".

I can figure out four (4) process maturity levels from this statement:
- Defined
- Controlled
- Repeated
- Manageable

You can correlate those with the points discussed earlier if you want.

Cheers,
Z!
winz
Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ziad and Vimzie,

That was an awesome input for me.. I have finished with a rough internal audit. Below are the points that I checkd for:

1) Process presence ?
2) Process Status ?
3) Process specification ?
4) Process-steps/-activities ?
5) Methods ?
6) Rolls and Responsibilties Defined?
7) Tool is in place and logging is done ?
Cool Procedures ?
9) Process planning/-monitoring ?
10) Process control ?
11) Process results ?
12) CSAT measurements ?
13) Responsiveness/adaptability ?
14) Improvement ?
15) Output ?

Cheers
winz
winz
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ziad,

Am back with some queries... Very Happy

The ones that I worked on was a good one. But I am not sure as to how good it was. Can you suggest me something on the same lines that can help me to improve the process / acheive a maturity level 3.

Cheerz
winz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: