Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: WMLUI
New Today: 32
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 139790

People Online:
Visitors: 64
Members: 1
Total: 65 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Application Managment
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Application Managment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avalanche

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: ITIL Application Managment Reply with quote

Has anyone here got experience with ITIL Application Management. I've found Information on the development part, but I can't find any info on how the system is maintained and serviced. Can the ITIL Service Management Support Delivery processe be used here or is there another best practice?

Regards
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from ITIL, there is ASL (Application Service Library). This is covering both development and support. At the support part, it covers a lot of ITIL ground.
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like anyone to correct if I am wrong...

As far as I know, ITIL had been put together from an Application Management perspective, so anything within ITIL can be used for Application development and management life cycles.

Regards,
Z!
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziad wrote:
I would like anyone to correct if I am wrong...

As far as I know, ITIL had been put together from an Application Management perspective, so anything within ITIL can be used for Application development and management life cycles.

Regards,
Z!

Hello Ziad,

As far as I know, ITIL has been put together from a "support" and "operations" perspective, not an application development persepective. I believe it is for this reason that ITIL has totally missed many of the processes necessary for planning, design, implementation, and much more. This is also most like the reason why the creators of ITIL have created processes/disciplines and/or roles and responsibilities within them that directly conflict with the same information in other best practice specifications, such as RUP, SDLC, eXtreme Programming, MSF, and MOF.

Now, I must say that I have not yet formally sat down and read through the entire Application Management track, but from what I have seen, it does not seem to handle the development process very well.

I have found for years, that you can apply much of ITIL to "pieces" of the Product Development Lifecycle (PLC) or what may be known as the System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) but how it all fits in is "very" different that what ITIL intended, especially since ITIL totally leaves out what happens in all environments before the Production environment.

Here is, in my opinion, the biggest flaw with ITIL...

ITIL was created by production support people for production support people. It "misses" everything that is done to get everything into the production environment. 85%-99% of all work and critical information that is necessary to get products (applications in the context of your question) from inception through to steady state, in the production environment, is generated "before" ever getting close to the production environment. ITIL is not about managing all that work and information. It's about managing what happens in or across the "production line". This means, that if you haven't managed all of that, properly, you've lost all the knowledge that was generated, including what is necessary for the CMDB.

Not only is ITIL a based on "production and operations", which leaves out everything before production, but it is also seems to mostly be derived from the experiences of "infrastructure" people/resources. This adds another dimension of misrepresentation/misunderstanding to those that read it. Being someone in an IT organization that deals with physical hardware/assets and what it takes to manage such assets through their lifecycle is different in many ways (although there are also many commonalities) than what it takes to manage software through its lifecycle.

All of this doesn't mean that ITIL is bad. It just means that it is highly incomplete, and very imperfect to anyone that has any applicable experience with the bigger picture of what it takes to manage an IT organization and Product Lifecycle (which covers everything from inception of a Product to it's death, possibly many years and many iterations later.

What people seem to forget is that while ITIL is good, ITIL is not everything. It is only a very small piece of the big picture associated with managing an IT organization and its interactions with vendors, clients, businesses, etc.

This is why I believe... "There is no more valuable tool you have available to you than your brain and the common sense that comes with it. So when in doubt, use it!" If you come to a crossroad where you have conflicting recommendations, such as how developers treat Release Management, based on recommendations from RUP and how ITIL specifies Release Management, which is a totally different concept, you will hopefully use your brain to pick what is best for your enterprise. If you don't and blindly follow ITIL, you will most likely fail in your implementation of it.

My personal issue with ITIL is that it represents "managing roads and all the laws about how you drive on the road". It totally dismisses everything it takes to get a vehicle on the road, which could have been years of hard work by thousands of people. Think about it... You spend years planning for, designing, prototyping, assembling, running, test-driving a vehicle before you put it on a road. By the time you put the vehicle on the road, everything you need to know about the vehicle has already been generated. If you have not managed it properly and collected all the relevant information, such as documentation, it's lost. You cannot control the planning, design, implementation, testing, and especially the information capture and management, from the tail end of the process. ITIL is the tail end of the process. This doesn't mean it's not important. It just means that you shouldn't look at it as the end all be all of managing "IT". This is why ITIL is so hard to implement. It's about "steady state" at the tail end of a product deployment process, not forward growth, where most people are spending all of their time so that enterprises can compete and grow successfully.

So it is for these reasons, and probably more that I've missed, that ITIL is not that good for Product Management & Development, regardless of whether it is a software application, a hardware computure server, or any other widget that goes through a manufacturing process.

My only hope is that it "is" constantly improving and will continue to improve in the right direction(s).

As always, I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank.
Thank you for correcting my information and sharing your knowledge, Yes it helps Smile

Regards,
Z!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: