Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KTPF
New Today: 23
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 139836

People Online:
Visitors: 70
Members: 1
Total: 71 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CMDB in Excel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CMDB in Excel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tralala,

I agree with your answer.

Unfortunately, too many people in IT will "claim" that they know how to scope their implementations to just build the basics for a CMDB. Most times, they don't even understand that all they're really building is an Asset Inventory/Register.

Also, if your enterprise is not in the business of building and selling CMDBs, why in god's name would you clutter and burden your enterprise with an undertaking that will only help to drown your IT staff.

Very simply, a good CMDB, done correctly will act as the hinge-pin to all of your other processes. However, to do it correctly is not a simple thing. We know, because we build a CMDB that is easy to use and we can say with experience that, while it is easy to use, it was not easy to design and implement. It took real experts with many years of very powerful domain experience to do so. Most enterprises don't have this and we find resources that have never undertaken such an endeavor trying to build a yellow brick road to Oz, one random brick at a time and having no clue where Oz is or what it should really look like.

Enough of me being on my soap box! Time to get down. Wink

My best to you.

Frank
Globis
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
We are planning to kick-start the implementation of Change management. And for that the CMDB should be in place. But because of some budget constraints we are planning to go with Excel for the moment.

Nnnnoooooooo, please don't do it please really really don't do it!!!!!

Seriously, if it is budget you're worried about use MySQL - it's free.

Excel is the wrong tool for hundreds of reasons: expensive, isolated data, no relationships, propriatory, difficult to automate etc. etc.

As you progress you will find yourself becoming more and more limited by Excel, and then you'll start doing lots of little Excel 'tricks' to extend functionality. Eventually you will start linking spreadsheets to try and create relationships, and then you are truely truely in the cacky.

Please, don't do it. Honest.

Quote:
Since, I am not really fluent in using Excel, can someone please guide me as to what all things should be included and how. Or give me an alternate (Economic) solution maybe !!!

Then learn SQL, it is easy and you will be so grateful you did. You have a great opportunity to start off on the right foot, you can use it like an Excel spreadsheet if you want, but it will be so much more flexible.

Please, don't use Excel for anything other than reporting, or maybe capturing data for import (only then if you cannot use a web-based solution).

Just say no.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: