Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: SBroussar
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 148131

People Online:
Visitors: 81
Members: 1
Total: 82 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Certification for... who?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Certification for... who?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvey
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: ITIL Certification for... who? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am currently learning ITIL, and hoping to bring some changes to our large, about 200 IT members sometime next year.

When considering ITIL training, who would you suggest get certified?

Of course, project leaders, and heads of the IT departments should be aware, but what about HelpDesk operators, and for example the various escalation points involved in completing users requests, and solving incidents and problems?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Harvey
mcardinal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

IMHO, everyone in IT should get certified at least at the Foundations level. It will provide a consistency of knowledge and approach for implementation. It will also put a common language in place. The overall result will be a smoother road for implementation, and improved quality. My own management has resisted this approach and we are suffering as a result (we cannot even decide on common definitions of terms like service, incident, problem, etc.)

To me Service Management is much more of a philosophy or management approach than it is just a set of processes (this echoes Deming's approach to Total Quality Management). By getting everyone on the same page through certification, you start to instill the same values and culture across the organization. This makes org change much easier and gets everyone focused in the same direction.

People who manage and support the processes should go on for Practitioner. Management and champions should go on for Master's.

Again this is the opinion of a philosophical purist when it comes to IT Service Management. Your own situation may be cost or organizationally prohibitive.

Hope this helps in some way.

Michael
Harvey
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that helps out a lot.

Quote:
(we cannot even decide on common definitions of terms like service, incident, problem, etc.)

I completely understand what you mean here. Currently in our business there is no difference between a problem and an incident. Increaseing awareness of ITIL practices by sending everyone to training would certianly be beneficial.

Thanks, I'm going ot see what I can do about sending as many people as possible to at least the initial training.

-Harvey
H
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
I want to begin by saying this is not a sales pitch- however if you need lots of folks trained we would come to your site and train your folks. I would say that we are almost on a missionary quest to point out the relevance of Governance, the business, the processes then IT.
This requires a lot of thought and 'soul searching' and an ability to be adaptive at the enterprise level.
The business holds its goals and the relevance of IT as the Damocles sword of outsourcing.
Once you prove that you can do this better than any one else the business realizes and understands your value. You do however, in the final analysis have to deliver.

H
Harvey
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to begin by saying this is not a sales pitch- however if you need lots of folks trained we would come to your site and train your folks.

I assume we're out if I tell you our business is in Japan?

We are currently looking at a few companies that give ITIL training in Japan, like CA who is certified.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: