Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CaroleCard
New Today: 69
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 150019

People Online:
Visitors: 51
Members: 0
Total: 51

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Information about ITIL compliant vendors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information about ITIL compliant vendors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heidland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Information about ITIL compliant vendors Reply with quote

I am leading an RFI to implement an enterprise solution for holistic IT management. Our CIO has asked that we look in to vendors that offer ITIL compliant software as well as the possibility of ITIL certification.

After a week of research I've found several major players offering application suites marketed as ITIL compliant IMS, but have yet to find a US based vendor that offers certification. Can anyone recommend vendors?

Also, a major portion of our RFI will be an IMS that is top down and bottom up automating all aspects of our IT tools to an application suite based solution that provides a single data repository to eliminate both manual and duplicate data entry. On significant item will be the management of our network assets/traffic as well as data, fibre, network, and telecom infrastructure (conduit, cards, and cabling).

Are there any members of larger organizations (15K + employees) that are using and ITIL compliant suite to manage all their IT operations and if so which vendors are you using?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I do not know who can provide you with the required in US, but I am writing to pass a small message.

ITIL is a framework and its flexibility is its strongest point, therefore there is nothing such as "ITIL Compliant", you should look for ISO20000 compliancy since ISO20000 adopts ITIL and is a standard.

Regards,
Z!
Heidland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Ziad, I am looking in to that right now.
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ziad has said, and I feel it's worth repeating as this is a common misconception.

A tool cannot be 'compliant' with ITIL as ITIL is a set of best practices and not a standard. ISO 20000 is the international standard that has its origins in ITIL.

A tool that is 'Pink Verified' means that the tool developer has shown that their tool can be used to support ITIL processes (by no means limited to in many cases) and that they have paid for the privilege.

An organisation cannot be ITIL certified. It can however be audited to comply with the ISO 20000 standard if you wish to go down that path.

An individual CAN be ITIL certified through the foundation > practitionar > manager certification route.

I hope that clarifies the situation.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO add to this

ISO 20000 would only apply to a service provider providing an end-to-end service to a customer.

ISO 20000 can not be applied to a tool or a person

I know this cause I sat on the ISO 20000 course for consultants

A tool can not be ITIL complient... at best a tool can be based on the ITIL processes but since there is NOT hard fast rule on how to do IM, PM etc the tool can not be hard coded.

A tool can however provide a Incident Record managment same for problem, change etc and a COnfiguration mgmt but it should NOT ever replace the policies, processes and procedures which any company makes

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Information about ITIL compliant vendors Reply with quote

Hello Heidland,

Please see my responses, embedded, below...

Heidland wrote:
After a week of research I've found several major players offering application suites marketed as ITIL compliant IMS, but have yet to find a US based vendor that offers certification. Can anyone recommend vendors?

NOTE: There is no such thing as an ITIL "certified" tool but ITIL compliant tools are simply tools that offer solutions that address one or more pieces of ITIL. The critical questions now becomes: What vendor/tool:

- Offers the highest coverage of ITIL disciplines out of the box?
- Offers the most advanced technology solutions to facilitate these ITIL disciplines?
- Offers the quickest implementation time?
- Requires the least amount of training and support?
- Connects the most ITIL/IT stakeholders together?
- Centralizes all of your ITIL information, eliminating redundancy of data?
- Offers the most advanced and easy to use solutions for access and dissemination of ITIL related information?
- Offers the lowest cost of up-front implementation?
- Offers the lowest year-over-year ITIL TCO?

(NOTE: I'm sure there are more that I'm missing but they should help you start.)

As far as we know, there are two vendors that have a formal goal of offer ing a holistic approach to ITIL:

1) Service-Now and
2) TraverseIT

So there is no confusion, please understand that I lead TraverseIT and am not trying to sell to you. However, because I understand this market and know our solution intimately, I will share what I know in hopes of helping you understand what your options are and what to look for.

It is important to know that while both solutions (SN and TraverseIT) cover a holistic approach to ITIL, TraverseIT covers a holistic approach to Information Management, as it applies to all IT Operations, regardless of whether it's development, support, management, etc. ITIL is a subset of grander IT Operations, which encompasses how an IT Organization "operates like a business".

When you say "certification", it depends on what you mean. If you're looking for individual certifications for resources, we have partners that train and prep users for ITIL Foundation's, Practitioner's, and Master's exams.

If you're looking for certification of the enterprise, as a whole, there really is no formal certification of an enterprise, since there is no formal "minimum requirement" for implementing ITIL, as a whole.

What we do is guarantee that an enterprise that works with us walks away with the most advanced solutions and has the highest ITIL "coverage", for the lowest price and the least amount of effort.

We also offer services that help define the processes, train the stakeholders, and ultimately back it all up with real, live, centralized, and globally accessible Information Management Solution that allows enterprises to walk away with the most for their investment.

I'm sure that SN will work with you to find some of their own partners to also help train and certify resources.

Quote:
Also, a major portion of our RFI will be an IMS that is top down and bottom up automating all aspects of our IT tools to an application suite based solution that provides a single data repository to eliminate both manual and duplicate data entry. On significant item will be the management of our network assets/traffic as well as data, fibre, network, and telecom infrastructure (conduit, cards, and cabling).

NOTE: What you said is very important to understand. Are you trying to have highest coverage for "ITIL and only ITIL" or are you trying to have a solution that addresses "IT" and all areas of IT Operations, where ITIL is simply a small subset? I, personally, always prefer the latter because I believe it is a more correct "big picture view".

On your statement of managing network traffic, etc... If you're looking for an automated Asset Management solution, which is really not a piece of ITIL per say, I recommend you look into solutions like BMC's solution of routing BMC patrol events through tools like HP Openview, out to BMC's Remedy console. Very expensive but gives you a solution for hooking live events to your production Incident Management solution. Again, this only addresses a "very small" piece of what ITIL represents. It only addresses your production environment and also does not address things like:

- Application Management (which is a whole world of operational areas that the OGC, themselves, don't understand. Reference RUP, MSF, SDLC, etc.)
- Change Management
- Configuration Management
- A Configuration Management Database (although BMC will sell you Atrium)
- Financial Management
- License Management
- Product Management
- Release management
- Risk Management
- Service Management
- Vendor Management
- and much, much more...

It also does not address how you will hook into all of your other critical operational processes:

- Account Management
- Content Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Document Management
- Policy Management
- Process Management
- Project Management
- Request Management
- etc.

The questions you have to ask yourself are:

- "What problems does my enterprise want to solve?"
- "What is the acceptable minimum?"
- "Who is the intended audience?" (A piece of IT? All of IT? Your business units? IT and the business units? etc.)
- "What stakeholders will have access to the solutions?"
- "How will all stakeholders create, manage, and share information intra-group and inter-group?"
- "What are you willing to spend?"
- "What is an acceptable scope for R1?"
- "How do you intend to grow with ITIL?" (Because ITIL keeps growing without you and your enterprise will have to invest to keep up.)
- "What are the timeframes for implementation?"

In all fairness, there is no one solution that covers all of ITIL. There are many solutions that cover many different small areas of ITIL and there are a small handful, like SN and TraverseIT that have higher coverages for ITIL.

I believe that the reason that these two have the highest coverage is because they are the only two products we can find that seem to have been designed and built, from the ground up, with ITIL as the driving set of requirements and with ITIL as the primary market. Most other tools that are in the ITIL space are either enterprise class tools that existed before the ITIL wave and that were bent backwards, via marketing and rebranding, to make themselves look like they're ITIL compliant or they are smaller products that haven't been designed for large scale enterprise data volumes. (I still haven't seen Service-Now handle large volumes, yet, either. But, this doesn't mean it can't.)

Quote:
Are there any members of larger organizations (15K + employees) that are using and ITIL compliant suite to manage all their IT operations and if so which vendors are you using?

There are companies using small pieces. There are large financial firms using the BMC/Remedy combination that I mentioned, above, for production operations. These same firms use solutions that they've built themselves or we've put in place for them for other areas of ITIL and IT operations.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I hope this information helps. If you feel you want to discuss more or want details that I can't openly publish on the site, I'll gladly have conversations with you, offline, to help clear things up. Please feel free to contact me to discuss.

Best Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: