Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: QYCJ
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 51
Overall: 146479

People Online:
Visitors: 40
Members: 1
Total: 41 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Release Management and software development?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Release Management and software development?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mesly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Release Management and software development? Reply with quote

How encompassing is the Release Management Process (for that matter, you could ask this for Change and Configuration as well) in regards to governing, if anything, in software development activities? It is my interpretation that ITIL assumes that software already be developed prior to entering into Release Management, by whatever methodology the developemnt team chooses (i.e. RUP, XP, etc.). The interface point between the two organizations (development and operations) being the actual deliverable itself being introduced into Change Mangement for formal release via Release Mangement into the production environment. Lately I have been questioning myself whether or not ITIL processes should extend into the software development side of the business to provide assistance with Change, Release and Configuration Mangement.

Can anyone help me with these thoughts? How have you dealt with this?

Thank you in advance.
mcardinal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesly,

Have you picked up the other ITIL books on Software Asset Management and Application Management? There is valuable insight about this subject in both.

If you think of Software Development as part of the broader IT Service Management framework and philosophy you might see its strong connection to the core ITIL disciplines of Change and Release. They complement each other well if you place Service Management as the over arching framework for both.

At my own firm people have a tendency to limit their thinking to the ten core disciplines (Service Support and Service Delivery). I prefer to look at the bigger picture of IT Service Management (the overall umbrella or framwork). This perspective allows me to map any and all activities conducted in IT into the overall framework. This includes Enterprise Architecture, Strategic Planning, App Dev, Systems Management, etc. It has made integration and connection between processes such as Release and Software Development much smoother and more natural.

Hope this helps!

Michael--ITIL philosophy purist Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: