Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: EJos
New Today: 15
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 139504

People Online:
Visitors: 80
Members: 3
Total: 83 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Use of Pending status on Incidents
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of Pending status on Incidents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElaineL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Use of Pending status on Incidents Reply with quote

We're having a lively discussion about the most effective use of a Pending status for Incident tickets. Some of the thoughts:
1 - Use of Pending for customers who won't return calls or actively participate in the resolution effort
2 - Use of Pending only for situations where we know a due date when the reason it is pending will be resolved
3 - Pending status stops the clock so that service level targets aren't measured while in pending

Please know this about our current situation - we are just starting on SLM, so we don't have any agreements with our customers yet. We do have SL targets that we are measuring against.

I'd like to hear any and all comments about who is or isn't using Pending status and why.

Thanks all
lgimenez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Pending Status...! Reply with quote

Hi Elaine;

I've the same doubt...

How to work with SLA, using the pending status?

Could you tell me, about this?

Thanks
Luiz Gimenez
Sao Paulo - Brazil
AndyI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Use of Pending status on Incidents Reply with quote

ElaineL wrote:
We're having a lively discussion about the most effective use of a Pending status for Incident tickets. Some of the thoughts:
1 - Use of Pending for customers who won't return calls or actively participate in the resolution effort

I personally don't feel this is a good use of pending - ITIL moves towards a more proactive approach in it's Service Support and Delivery...Customers are who we are in business for and it's not in my view best practice to hold CI's to ransom whilst resolving Customer contact issues if it can be avoided...and you won't know if you just list a request "pending due to lack of contact"...

ElaineL wrote:

2 - Use of Pending only for situations where we know a due date when the reason it is pending will be resolved

This would be covered off under Change Management wouldn't it? Otherwise it's not a solution pending a change down the line, it's either a problem or incident, neither of which would require a timed solution later nor attrach a "pending" flag...

ElaineL wrote:

3 - Pending status stops the clock so that service level targets aren't measured while in pending

You would need the Customers to agree to such a point, however it is logical that if a request is pending from influences outside the support processes directly related to the resoolution, then yes...the time to complete should be flexible to include such delays.

We currently use "suspended" to reflect pending, there are 3 key points to our implementation of them though:

1 - The suspension/pending flag must be caused/requested from an external influence (including task resourcing) or service provider.

2 - The Customer MUST agree when the request is suspended and must understand the implications of agreeing.

3 - Someone needs to be tasked with ensuring these flagged requests are not lost in the system or not revisted.

My $0.02

Regards,

AndyI
GSR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Use of Pending Status Reply with quote

Hello to all,

In re to "1 - Use of Pending for customers who won't return calls or actively participate in the resolution effort." On the one hand is not fair to hold staff accountable if they are making a legitimate effort contact the person. On the other hand it can also be abused to avoid the work or the person, or both etc... I've seen this used in many different organization with mixd results. In short, set some parameters for the use, and then ensure some-one monitors such statuses.

In re to "2 - Use of Pending only for situations where we know a due date when the reason it is pending will be resolved." Probably more in tune with Change Management. Consider an IMAC, which the use of Pending would be very effective if the given date for the completion is say 1 or two weeks... assuming that report / query identifies this information.

In re to "3 - Pending status stops the clock so that service level targets aren't measured while in pending." This should be covered in the agreements for service and support that are developed as part of the overall program. However, I have also seen this abused... In referring to the customer, i.e. a single person, then they are not typically intereseted in if the clock starts or stops, but only when will this be fixed... If referring to the customer, i.e. the company as a whole, then cover in the agreement, as mgmt will use this in evaluations, ratings, etc...

There are many different variables, each with pro's and con's. In most cases, if something is causing the team to be uable to meet an obligation due to an outside factor, then stopping the clock, and slecting Pending would be fair, but detailed reasons and oversight are always essential so you do not have lingering tickets, several days or weeks old.

Hope some of this helps...

GSR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: