Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: immilmeld
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 140
Overall: 131700

People Online:
Visitors: 45
Members: 1
Total: 46 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Differences Between ITIL v2 and ITIL v3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Differences Between ITIL v2 and ITIL v3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
query
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Differences Between ITIL v2 and ITIL v3? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I know that this is still an open question due to the fact that ITIL v3 is still in the process of being written and has not been finalised yet, but what I wanted to find out is, if anyone knew how much information from v2 will be adopted by v3 and how much will become absolete?

How much of for examples Service Support and Service Delivery will be integrated in to v3? And will they now be scaterred around 5 new books or there will be book a book dedicated to each? The new chapters Service Strategies, Service Design, Service Introduction, Service Operation, Continuous Service Improvement at this stage for me appear to be investigating ITIL from a different perspective. But are these books an addition to the current set (I.e. this is like an upgrade to the core components) or this is a rewrite and reintegration?
query
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody really knows?
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi query,

I think at this stage the only people who have a real idea are those who are involved in writing the refresh.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

[Note: Edited by Admin to remove external links]
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an update on the ITIL Refresh v3 read the entry I've posted in my blog, link in my signature.
query
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Itilimp, That information was useful

Okay, for anyone who is interested, this is the information I was able to find from multiple sources:

Approximately 60% of V2 will be integrated into V3. For SS and SD in particular there is a greater proportion moving along to V3 since most of the processes will move forward and be used in the service lifecycle of V3 practice. The bulk of V2 SS and SD will reside in Service Transition, Operation and Improvement volumes.

The five core books, complementary titles and value added products of V3 replace the V2 library entirely.

Additional Source revealed that "Service Introduction" may incorporate Change / Release Management, "Service Operation" may have Incident / Problems Management, "Service Strategies" may have a lot of components from "Service Delivery", "Service Design" may have Availability / Capacity and "Continuos Service Improvement" maybe a wholistic approach to all ITIL books.

7 Books are shrinking into 5, so we might see a growth in page volumes, I guess the final product remains to be seen. It should be very interesting when they come out Smile
arnoldmram
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The good part of the new version of ITIL v3 is its ability to include the continuous service improvements and its ability to give a lifecycle approach to the Services (right from service strategies to service improvements.

Unlike the ITIL v2, which has only the core process areas, ITIL v3 also has a web based components in its outer periphery and complimentary components in its inner periphery with the titles (from service strategies to service improvements) as its core.

From what I understand of the news being published in itsmf, the new version may be available from the early 2007.
peppermint
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understood from more news it's due April 2007.

Another topic which will be detailed according to communications is Service Request management (as discussed on other topics on the forum).

pep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: