Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HArriaga
New Today: 68
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 141889

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 1
Total: 50 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Career Advice - I T I L
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Career Advice - I T I L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Career Advice - I T I L Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am a certified SixSigma-GB working in the CallCenter/BPO industry since the last 5 years.

Presently, i am working with an Insurance BPO at Bangalore, and, wish
to get into process management/process consulting with respect to the
IT sector.

If i do my ITIL Foundation certification, can i get an opening in the IT sector, as i have described above ?

Please do advise me if a career shift of this nature is possible or not. If yes, please give me detailed advise as to how do i go about achieving what i am interested.

Best Regards

Cheers !

Mohan
mpothur@yahoo.com
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does your local IT market want ?

If they all just want warm bodies to fill Call Centre seats, then do that while you try to increase your knowledge

Just getting the certification in any endevour does NOT automatically mean you will get a job in the field which requires the certification. Usually the certification goes along with work in that field.

IT Service Desk call centre staff grow into team leads grow into Service Desk managers grow into Operations Managers or slide into System management (microsoft /Unix/Linux etc) or network management (CCNA) , developer (C/C++/C#, Java etc), database, application or slide into Operations support like Change, Project

You cant expect that the field will open just because you pick up a certification w/o ever doing any work in the field.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
QUICKLEARNER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hardesty

You may indeed by a Red Badge, but you show a stunning ignorance of how the IT market in India works.

Your statement that 'IT Service Desk call centre staff grow into team leads grow into Service Desk managers grow into Operations Managers..' may well be true in the UK. However, in India Call center staff (and we were talking about call center and not service desk (maybe you would care to read a posting before responsding)) generally remain call center staff...there is no career progression...you have to move on to move forward!

So, before you respond again, try to remember that this is an international forum, and not everything works as it does in the UK.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know this is an international forum.

I did read the question.

I do however recognize that that call centres and Service Desk are not one and the same

But, regardless, getting the ITIL Foundation degree does not automatically open doors for someone and promise a ITIL Based role

Six Sigma is also a highly sought after certification tier scheme

If mohan is very good at Six Sigma, then the career path with Six Sigma is Management ? // Quality control

Also Certification in any field without experience in that field beforehand lowers the implied strength of the Certification.

Look at the MCSE, CCNA and other certification programs - these programs have suffered due to this

And, while this is an ITIL Discussion board and this room is for discussing ITIL related jobs and work, this is NOT a career planning board and one should realize that any opinion giving here is just that - an opinion. And the old adage applies to opinions even for me.

If Mohan does want to go into a field where ITIL is used, then Mohan look for work where the application of ITIL is being done - namely in IT Operations Departments and get a role /job / career. The foundation exam itself is not a entrance exam for IT Operations roles

Finally, while I do have my ITIL Manager's certificate, I have no clue about the jobs/career market in India, Germany, France or any of the 100+ countries which exist at this moment. I also have not a clue of the jobs Market in the UK because while I do contract work in IT on ITIL Related matters, the general employment market is unknown to me.

And even with the Manager's certificate, I find that there are fewer ITIL oriented roles which meet my requirements for location, money position etc. So at the moment... the pickings is slim

Just having my Red Badge does not promise work... it means that you have pass a finite point in your skills level

.. ultimately meaning nothing ..

which is the point I am trying to make.

MK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UKViking,

Am MK from Malaysia. First of all, I would like thank you for you support in giving the advise thru this forum.

I have a few questions which I think quite sensitive to be discussed in forum. Would you mind to drop me a mail at mkarthikayen@yahoo.com ?
so that I could discuss the matters via email

Continue your good work!!!

Thanks & Regards,
MK
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MK,

If it is ITIL related... ask it here but in the right forum

Dont ask if it is Business confidential or priviledged information. Neither the owners of the site nor me want our brains scrubbed clean and our frillies taken.

I had that done in the 80s when I de-briefed and de classified.

If it is not ITIL related, why are you asking me ?

I can answer questions to the first, I wont answer questions or correspond to second.

If you know me personally or professionally, use the emails that are associated with me personally or professionally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Jobs All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: