Joined: Aug 11, 2006 Posts: 262 Location: Netherlands
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:31 am Post subject:
I've worked with several clients were this change stop is the case. Unfortunately, I do not have any of their documentation available. Reasons for a change stop varied:
* change stop on financial systems (several clients, not necesarilly banks etc.):
> Period: end/beginning of month (1) and end/beginning of year
> reason: needed stability/availability around closing the fin. accounts for switch of month/year
* University: change on core systems around the start of the new academic year (class scheduling system etc.).
> Period: last week of summer holidays/first week of academic year.
> reason: needed stability/availability around invasion of 1000s of new students.
In other words:
1. Define the reasons why? Who will benefit from a change stop? Communicate to all involved about this client's need (for general understanding).
2. Keep an emergency procedure in place (for implementing security patches etc.).
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:51 am Post subject: Freeze Periods
In our organization, which is primarily retail, we have freeze periods which entail major holidays and then for financial support during quarter end processing. Some of the criteria that we utilize when evaluating the acceptance/approval of a request during a freeze period are:
1) If there is a Financial, Statutory or Regulatory Risk to the organization if the change does not take place. i.e. it must be demonstratable.
2) If the Change is the result of correcting a Service Outage.
3) If the Change is the prevention of a looming Service Outage.
4) If there is no viable workaround.
Some time frames, and this is dependent on your organization, around quarter end/year (QE/YE)end processing. Implementing a freeze so that support teams can concentrate on a static state system to complete those QE and YE activities. Also in my opinion it would be good practice especially around major holidays just due to typically many employees save their vacations for around this time from so support and development staff may be limited.
Hope this helps some.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum