Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MLNLE
New Today: 27
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 144733

People Online:
Visitors: 57
Members: 2
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Models
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cindi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Change Models Reply with quote

Does anyone have an example / template of a change model available to share?
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Cindi,
What do you mean by change model?

Kind Regards,
Z!
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing they mean examples of what constitutes a standard change, minor change, major change etc. However, clarification/confirmation would be useful!
Cindi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Clarification - Change Model Reply with quote

Thank you for responding. From what I do understand - a 'change model' can be created whenever a RFC follows a 'standard workflow'. The change model would outline:
- the standard set of people to notify
- the standard set of activities to perform
- the standard authorization point(s)
- etc.

It would also include:
- the test plan
- the back out plan or mitigation strategy
- the implementation and verification plan
- the post implementation review criteria

Because it's a routine change - the above would be the same each time.

For example: each time a patch comes in, you would follow the same procedure:
- notify a certain group
- the group would do testing
- update the DB
- go through scheduling, etc.

It could be a written document / procedure (you'd need a flow change & work instructions for all involved).

The key thing about a change model is it is routine. All you are doing is saving time by making certain decisions up front - before executing the change. Decisions such as: who is going to authorize, assess, build & deploy the change). The change model reduces the risk associated with the same change being applied differently depending on 'who' is involved. It eliminates the need for additional scrutiny by the CAB.

Change models can be accessed in a tool such as Remedy's Change Mgmt. module - and automated.

The great thing is people don't have to do re-work. It saves time preparing documentation for all kinds of impact analysis, etc. The trick is agreeing to a standardized workflow.

The thinking is 60-80% of changes submitted can be managed via submission of a change model. This is huge & would greatly reduce the administrative impact on the organization creating & scrutinizing the risks & impact associated with standard changes (which - by the way - can be 'complex' standard changes - - not just 'low risk / low impact' RFC).

In short, I 'get' the concept. I'm just wondering if anyone ever created a change model & if so - what does the template look like?

I'd like to be able to work from a model and would appreciate any insight / help any of you might be able to provide. Thanks!
jamilforitil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't get what you are really asking for Cindi...you say that you got the concept, and you know that the change models exist in Remedy, I have personally created plenty of routine changes that I can reuse each time I think It's almost the same change...you need to reassess that though, but seems that you know that already...
In remedy for example, there's an option that says: copy from another change, It gets all the features of the other chnage, and you just need to customize it to your change..by changing the right CI...all the other stuff remain the same (workflow, approvals, notfied people, back out...)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindi,

I have a couple of questions/comments.

You have, in your last post, covered a lot of material for which you need to help develop your change model

A coupel of other things as well

What is the Incident Model your organization is using
Same for Problem ?

The Change Model should be related to those two models your company is doing.

My last question/comment may be thought as cruel and insenstive.. but since I am and can be both.

Are you asking this forum and its members for this information because you dont have a change manager or some one who has any experience in Change Management and you need a little nudging in the right direction

or

The reason I ask this is as follows:

1 - I have no problem giving advice about ITIL and my favorite area - Change management
2 - Since I am an independent ITIL Consultant trying to hustle my services to customers and getting paid for my services; there is a fine distinction between advice / opinion - which is always free and consultation - which is money.

=====

That being said

When you write/build your change model; you need to look at the following
- The IT environment for which the Change Management is going to be applied - are you talking servers and network gear only, user desktops, peripherals and gadgets, application - or just some of the list
- What is the Business IT heirarchy and where will the role for the Change Manager sit and what level of authority will the role have
- You need to define the parameters of the classification and priority of Change Requests appropriate for your IT environment
- The Change Request flow is straight out of the Blue Service Support book.
You then need to take that and apply it against the organization

I would provide more data to include diagram, template, documents; but, the above is advice ... to continue would be consulting and you and I dont have a contract / fee schedule.

You should be able to write something from the above

VBG
-

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually dont reply to my own posts

but itSMF has some free documentation if you contact/join them

They have an introduction guide to Change Management.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: