Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JHBI
New Today: 18
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148429

People Online:
Visitors: 45
Members: 1
Total: 46 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Name of chart?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Name of chart?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobduncan76

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Name of chart? Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to put all our IT services onto one chart for purpose of viewing end-to-end KPIs such as Resolution Time (across multiple support groups) Ė so will incorporate OLAís and UCís and be mapped to corresponding SLAís.

Whatís this chart called and are any examples or templates available for this?

TIA,

Bob
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

May I ask how many services are you tracking? It doesn't sound like much, if you can fit it all on one chart.

I also have to ask which KPIs you're attempting to visualize....

• Are they all "individually" related to disciplines like Incident Management? Problem Management? Etc.
  • Or, do you intend to show KPIs from multiple disciplines (which would make the view far more complicated and possibly confuse readers, since there's not much correlation between each KPI)?

Regards,

Frank
bobduncan76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Templates of service dependencies may be useful Reply with quote

Frank, these are end-user services such as computers, e-mail etc.

Need to define all dependencies on other services, OLAs, UCs etc. Want to know best wording for this kind of matrix.

Also, when documenting service dependency on critical function, for example Network, how can I refer to it (as Network connectivity is not a service by itself?

Any good examples or templates would help in shedding light.

Consider that providing Email relies on UCs with a number of internal support groups and vendors too. And it relies on a network connection, the ISPís email connection (eg SMTP) etc.)

Looking for a nice way to model all of this information & show relationships between them and the service provided.

Thanks.

Bob.
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Templates of service dependencies may be useful Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Please find my responses, embedded below...

Quote:
Frank, these are end-user services such as computers, e-mail etc.

Need to define all dependencies on other services, OLAs, UCs etc. Want to know best wording for this kind of matrix.

When I read this, I think of a "dependency tree or map", where for a given service you can see a breakdown of everything that depends on it or it depends on. This usually comes directly from the CMDB. For government contractors, we've labeled such a document as a "Configuration Spec".

What I think I'm still confused with is how you will map KPIs into the document, as there are "many" different KPIs that you could possibly use. I'm sure if you're going to limit it down to something specific like "Up-Time" or "Availability" you might make the whole view homogenous. However, when you start mixing in multiple KPIs that have nothing to do with each other, it might get out of hand, quickly.

Quote:
Also, when documenting service dependency on critical function, for example Network, how can I refer to it (as Network connectivity is not a service by itself?

A "Service", in the sense of how one is defined by ITIL, is really a wrapper around a Product. For example, "Email" is really a product that is rolled out to an enterprise and it is wrapped in a "Service" that dictates operational/behavioral expectations for it's end users/customers. As a result, you really are not dependent on other "Services" so much as you are other "Products", which have services wrapped around them. When you create your dependency tree/map, I would recommend you simply show all "Products" that your key "Product" is dependent on. What you can do is color any/and all Products that are important enough to have dedicated "Services" wrapped around them in a different collor. So, for example, if your Product depends on a build tool that doesn't have a dedicated Service wrapped around it, then leave that build tool black. If it also depends on a "Queuing/Messaging" tool that does havea dedicated Service (complete with SLAs, etc.) around it, then make the Queuing tool Green or some other color.

ITIL poorly mixes the concept of "Services" with "Products", with no clear delineation. In ITIL, a Service is merely a Product that is important enough to be tagged with things like SLAs/OLAs/etc. However, if you're running a top quality enterprise, you will have these things for "every" product in your environment, because all will need some level of support if something goes wrong. The problem is that ITIL "only" focuses on the production environment and leaves out everything in all previous environments, such as development and testing/verification tools. If a development tool goes down, a developer and, quite possibly a development team, is not working. You would have to address getting that tool working again and the process is also formal Incident Management. So, realistically, there is a need for a Service definition for all Products in your environment. ITIL, in its incompleteness, leaves this out.

Quote:
Any good examples or templates would help in shedding light.

Sorry, I don't. This is the first I've heard of mixing things like KPIs into Configuration Map. Not that I don't think it's a good idea... I simply just have not seen such a thing, before. My initial reaction is that you may find it very difficult to maintain, since there will be a great deal of information on it and collecting all that information for each and every Service/Product dependency could get ugly.

Quote:
Consider that providing Email relies on UCs with a number of internal support groups and vendors too. And it relies on a network connection, the ISPís email connection (eg SMTP) etc.)

Looking for a nice way to model all of this information & show relationships between them and the service provided.

The minute you start using words like "relies" & "relationships" or "depends" & "dependencies" I instantly think Configuration Map, where the map consists of dependencies that are only one degree of separation, away. If you maintain your CMDB properly, this map will be very easy to pull from your CMDB. If not, I'm afraid that you may have a very hard time managing it and keeping it up to date.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: