Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JLuw
New Today: 38
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 148118

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 2
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Process Optimizing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Process Optimizing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITIL_beginner_82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Process Optimizing Reply with quote

Im a trainee in a computing centre for 6 months.

There it concerns the optimization of the processes of the Configuration management. So far I did not find a great many information to the configuration management. Specialized books to ITIL deal there rather in more detail with other processes and to describe the proceeding of projects.

There are so far tools for inventory management, asset management and license management. But shortly a completely new Tool (IBM - Tivoli) is to be introduced for configuration management.
I do not know, how I am to begin procedure and what can I do?. Does someone have an advice for me? Shocked
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If some of the below information may sound silly, it simply means that I didn't understand your request.

First, document the expected outcome of the optimization; what are you expecting to have after optimizing the change management process. I can say that you want to base it on the best practices covered by ITIL.

Then you should look at the current change process, either it is named a process and documented as such or not, there must be some kind of procedures that are followed to request and execute changes.

Once these two points are identified (start and end), you can identify the changes required to optimize your process (new tool, training, migration, ..., and most important of all identify meaningful KPIs), try to come up with the cost requirements and secure a budget (or compare to the current budget if one is already allocated for this project), do a feasibility study to see if the milestone (start to end) is achievable based on the budget and available resources, put together a project plan and execute it starting with the quick wins and adopting a phased approach.

The details required depend on what you actually have in place at the time being. You may need to create RFC forms, urgent changes procedures, CAB setup requirements, and so on...

I Hope this was helpful,
Z!
ITIL_beginner_82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I have to optimized des configuration management, not the change management. The configuration management provides the cmdb and other processes like change-, incident-, problem- and release management use it.
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the confusion... I have an obssession with Change Management lately, it costed me a lot Sad

Anyway, the same reasoning applies for configuration management, out the CAB and the RFC forms on the side and get things more complicated... I am the wrong person to give details about configuration management besides the general information I highlighted in the previous message.

I shall keep looking at your post to see what detailed replies will you get for my own information.

Cheers,
Z!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a series of questions

ITIL_Beginner82

are you the person who is to roll out this new tool ?
are you on the team which is doing this ?
are you just a concerned user ?

Regardless, if Configuration Management is going to be rolled out, the process needs to be linked to the other Service Support processes if they are in place or being rolled out at the same time

If the company has a asset register, an inventory control system which IT uses to track what hardware etc is bought, used, etc; these applications and their repsective data can be used to help populate the CMDB - which is part of the crux of configuration management

However, there are 5 parts of configuration management

Planing
Identification
Control
Status Accounting
Verification

All five need to be in place in order to ensure that COnfiguration Management is in place. The OGC ITIL Books have a lot to say about that.

They cost money but are cheaper than the course

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
ITIL_beginner_82

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have a series of questions

ITIL_Beginner82

are you the person who is to roll out this new tool ?
are you on the team which is doing this ?
are you just a concerned user ?

The computing centre is will be outsourced and a new company will be founded. I am doing the preliminary work. My boss would like to know, what comes to managements during the introduction of a configuration management to him. He get the information from me as an overview. With what does he have to count? What has to be considered everything? With this basis of my work it will then arrange a team, which will concern itself intensively with the roll out.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITIL_Beginner82

I gather from your last post ... English is not your first language.

Let me see I got the facts right

1 - The ComputerCenter is going to be outsourced and become its own company
2 - Your boss asked you to do the due diligence for the impact for / against Configuration Management and all its bits

Before I can help you with any answers

How much Training have you had in regards to ITIL

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
ITIL_beginner_82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much Training have you had in regards to ITIL

I have only the possibility to read some books (german) about ITIL, but the part of configuration management is very short, often only 3-5 pages. I get some more informations in the internet. But I did´nt have seminars or trainings. My company spend a low budget for the books.

You´re right, I´m german and my english is not the best! Rolling Eyes
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am puzzeled by the following: where is the overall coordination?

1. the entire department will be outsourced, and
2. you are asked to look at one single process (config.mgt) and possible consequences on this process from the outsourcing.

As there are many more processes (incident, problem, change, release, service level mgt, ava, cap etc.) that will be touched by the outsourcing, it seems logical to me that colleagues of you are given similar assignments for these processes. Is this true? If so, have you already talked to them and found out whether they face the same problems as you do (knowledge of ITIL, unclear assignment etc.).

Also: "getting your processes in order" can/should never be the goal of an outsourcing. There ought to be a business driven goal, and there are therefor many more topics to be covered in an outsourcing than only the processes. Is this the case? Is somebody overall responsible? Is there a programm or outsourcing manager who coordinates all efforts and actions? (for instance: HR, tooling, assets& infrastructure, financial)

Hope this helps, grusse aus Holland

Michiel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: