Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DRoughley
New Today: 61
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 131821

People Online:
Visitors: 40
Members: 3
Total: 43 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Managers Class Preparation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Managers Class Preparation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasenlee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Service Managers Class Preparation Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to start the first week of my Service Managers class on Monday and I'm freaking out a little bit. You see I've always been a visual learner rather than a book learner. I'm trying to re-read sections of the Red Book right now and I feel like some of it I've never read before (especially Financial Management). I have read it but the problem is I feel like it's going right in my head and then right out. My question to the rest of you... did anyone else feel this way? If so how did you make it through? Is it okay that I'm not going to be an expert when I walk in the door. During my intake interview with the instructor he told me that a lot of the students started preparing over a month ago and have read it twice. I feel like I'm going to be lost. What can I do?

Thanks,

Jason
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have had the foundation and passed the exam before taking the mgr's course

The material is not suppose to be unknown to you.

Intake interview... hm never heard of that.... Liz ?

The week long course issuppose to spend one day on each aspect of the service support and the service delivery material

You ' ll do fine if you have been itil'ing for a while as a foundation holder or practitoner

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of an interview before the course before. It may be that the training company wants to improve its success rate, and so is ensuring that people know what is expected of them in advance. This is not a bad idea!
In my experience, virtually no-one has really read both books before the course. Again, it would help a lot, but is not essential/ I say to my students that they should be aware of what the books say (Skimming through them as a minimum), so that they know where to go to find the information later.

The students who ar concerned about not having done enough work are NOT the problem. The ones who arrive on the first day, having not given a thought to ITIL since they walked out of their Foundation exam, and expect to learn everything during the course are! You would be amazed at how many look blank when I ask what the cost elements are (THE SPA - Transfer costs, Hardware, External, Software, People, Accommodation) or cannot remember what an FSC or CAB/EC is! We have to waste time re-visiting basic Foundation stuff first! I am seriously considering setting a mock Foundation as the first thing on the first day, and then telling those who fail to score at least 30/40 that they need to put in some serious revision time.

So - revise your Foundation definitions before your course, skim through the books, then attend the course. Pay attention during the course, think about the benefits, costs, implementation steps and connections with other processes for each process, and get as much mock exam practice as you can (This is where candidates fail - they may know the material, but not answer the question properly, or run out of time). After each topic in the course, re-read the relevant chapter, more slowly, making notes.
Good Luck!!
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jason is taking the course in North America, then I bet I know what training organization he has signed up with. If it's the same one that I took my SM course with, there was a preliminary conference call between the instructor and the students. Its intent was to set the expectation for what would be covered and the level of knowledge that the student was expected to bring to the class.

I am pretty sure that they told us that reading the Service Support book would be a good idea prior to the first week, but don't worry. I am also a much more visual learner and found reading the book an incredibly difficult way to re-familiarize myself with the material.

But having said that, I took the course, and passed the exams on the first attempt. You can too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: