Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HXLL
New Today: 39
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146068

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 2
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - End-user support description
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End-user support description

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: End-user support description Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I am part of Group level project (7 sites world wide in the current scope) that is aimed at standardizing group processes for hardware and services ordering and fleet management. As on of my main responsibilities, I have to establish and document processes for a global end-user support helpdesk. The our project will impact about 40,000 users and I have been assigned to this only a few weeks ago. I am working alone on this, I don't have any contacts in the actual service desks and I can't manage to get an appointment wih anyone down at helpdesk. Mainly because they are an external company and they treat themselfs as black box material. Can't blame them.

Now that you are aware of the context, I can move on to the issue.

I am having a little trouble finding end-user scenarios and other information such as modulable cost models. This last one being that our solutions treats hardware based end-user and hardware services based supportonly, and not software support. I know, this seems complicated, 2 types of support! Like I said, this is a big group and the need to de centralize was stronger than any other.

Can anyone provide a good practical book, site or reference that can guide me on this treacherous path?

Are there any end-user scenarios out there in the wild?

Oh, did I mention that this is my first real project and that I came out of school, therefore theoretical and utopic world, just a few months ago.

They said, this was available and I said yes. My girlfriend has said that I was not very ambitious. I didn't do this to prove her wrong but to prove myself capable.

Yet any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tmac
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tmac,

No offense, but your name might soon be T-rex. Are you sure your boss wants this project to succeed? What is his/her (hidden?) agenda?

Can you explain to me what you mean with 'end user scenario's"? Although I am not too sure what you mean with them / why you need them, I wonder whether these scenario's should be your main priority.

I understand your point re. the external helpdesk. You are right, who can blame them. Yet: somebody within your organisation has a contract on his desk between your organisation and this external helpdesk.

If so, this should be your starting point as this contract manager ought to introduce you with the external supplier.

If such a contract does not exist (or it is untraceble), there is yet another problem as your own organisation does not take integral responsiblity for the entire chain of suppliers (starting with your own organisation, and going further down the line of suppliers such as the external helpdesk). Without this contract (for starters), I'd say your mission is doomed.
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: What kind of job does your girlfriend have? Twisted Evil
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmac,

Regardless of whether you are supportung hardware or software or both, the same sort of processes are needed

Service Desk - a function to receive all the contact - central point of contact = can be distributed.
Incident Management - all incoming calls, email, faxes etc to the service desk about the service they are using or thelack thereof
also how to restore the service

etc.... etc... etc..

SOunds like some one gave you the dirty nappie and want it to come up roses.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: