Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: scaledmodels
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148414

People Online:
Visitors: 48
Members: 3
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem Management and Implementation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Management and Implementation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mel218

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Problem Management and Implementation Reply with quote

Hi,

I am responsible for LCS of a large network. At this time we provide configuration management of the network devices and well as update the code, provide preventative maintenance and perform break/fix functions.

I have been part of a working group for implementing ITIL Change and Configuration Management.

My confusion is in who should maintain the operational devices configuration. I believe it is us since we are held accountable for anything that goes wrong with the network. The Implementation team, which simply goes out, installs the equipment and leaves believes they should have full access to the operational devices as well as to the ones they are installing. I have not heard of any other organization allowing installer techs to make changes to the operational network.

How do others handle this situation? I was under the impression that the actual implementation would be part of release. The implementer/install tech, would follow the FSC to add the equipment. Any changes required to the operational network would be by my group.

Thanks for the advice,
Mel
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem Management and Implementation Reply with quote

mel218 wrote:

My confusion is in who should maintain the operational devices configuration. I believe it is us since we are held accountable for anything that goes wrong with the network. The Implementation team, which simply goes out, installs the equipment and leaves believes they should have full access to the operational devices as well as to the ones they are installing. I have not heard of any other organization allowing installer techs to make changes to the operational network.

Hi Mel

The only way that installer techs could alter anything in my live system, would be if the Change for the Install included that detail, had been considered and signed off.
Otherwise you have unauthorised changes happening where the risk has not been considered or mitigated against.

If the Change document does not state change this parameter, it does not happen!!!

If they do it anyway - big boots time! (I trample all over them Evil or Very Mad )

Regards

Ed

PS this should really be in the Change forum
mel218

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

I understand the Change process part of it. But who actually makes the change on your live side? Do you allow an install tech to actually change routing or ACL's?

We are having a disagreement on that portion. I'm LCS of the operational network. The other team being Implementation. They go and implement at a location never to see it again unless it is time to do an upgrade or removal of their equipment. The core part of the network is currently controlled by my team. We are responsible for the routing, ACLs and firewalls. Implementation believes they should make the change to the operational side. I'm all for them configuring the new side, but not the existing core side. There is too much in jeopardy. I don't know how industry does it as a whole. Who actually makes the change on the operational side once the approval occurs?

Thanks!
M
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mel

Our Tech Support Team is small (7 Guys) so easier for us to control, but they do installs, they do change live routings if appropriate, and if it is on the Change. As I said earlier, If it ain't in the Change It don't get done.

I will not allow changes that have not been considered, and after a number of blow ups where the techie has ended up with a dressing down , they do not push it any more.

You could allow your guys to communicate with your installers to ensure the work is done cleanly and under control, but does it actually matter who makes the change, providing it is done correctly, under Change Control, and in a timely manner?

I don't think so.

P.S. an afterthought - there is nothing to prevent you from having two Changes, one for the install and one for the route configuration.

Regards

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: