Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: abedognis
New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 146582

People Online:
Visitors: 40
Members: 3
Total: 43 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Availability Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Availability Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvey
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Availability Management Reply with quote

Is anyone here involved in Availability Management?

Just looking for someone to bounce ideas off of.

-Harvey
blamblam
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a been a little bit... I can try to help... what do you want to know?
Tania

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Availability Management Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have been involved quite extensively in Availability Management planning and day-to-day activities, happy to assist you with any information you may need.

Regards,
Tania
slash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Availability Management Reply with quote

Tania wrote:
Hi there,

I have been involved quite extensively in Availability Management planning and day-to-day activities, happy to assist you with any information you may need.

Regards,
Tania

Tania,

I just joined this forum. I have created a thread asking for help on developing an AvM Plan. I am actually looking for an example or a template of an AvM Plan document. Any help in this area will be appreciated.
Tania

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Availability Management Plan Reply with quote

Hi slash,

Just send me an email to the following address and I will send you a copy of a Plan template, that I have.
taniacarra@optusnet.com.au

Regards,
Tania
slash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Availability Management Plan Reply with quote

Tania wrote:
Hi slash,

Just send me an email to the following address and I will send you a copy of a Plan template, that I have.
taniacarra@optusnet.com.au

Regards,
Tania

Tania and everyone else,

I have been putting together an Availability Plan. Don't have a template or an actual example, so I have come up with my list of relevant items to include.

These are:

Impact of Unavailability
Future Plans relating to application rollout and usage expansion
Related Configuration Items to Support Application
Application Architecture Documentation
System Architecture Documentation
Supporting Infrastructure Architecture Documentation
Most Critical CIs of Environment
CI Monitoring Being Performed Today
Application Monitoring Being Performed or Requested
SLAs, OLAs, Underpinning Contract (UC)
Serviceability/maintainability Requirements
Escalation Procedures
Recovery Procedures
Capacity Details (CI Level Capacity Plans)

Anyone care to comment or correct me?
ElaineL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just gotten an assignment to implement an Availability Mgmt plan for our organization. I'd be interested in any lessons-learned from anyone out there.
Harvey
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to identify key milestones for a MGPP plan for Availability Management as well.

I am thinking...

- Establish Measurement System & Agree on Targets
-- Monitoring Tools, Digital Dashboard (Topaz, SiteScope)
-- Define Mission Critical Systems and Applications
-- Baseline Performance Data
-- Agree on Targets

- Monitoring of Actual Availabiliy Vs Agreed Targets
-- Analyze Biz Process to IT Systems relationship
-- Escalation Process for Alerts
-- Establish Early warning alerts
-- RCA and Reporting Process
-- ReDefine Organization to fit needs of Availability Managmeent
----AKA, Assign an Availability Manager!

- Identify Unacceptable Levels of Availability that impact biz and User
-- SLA's
-- OLS's
-- Risk Analsys, Impact Analysis

- Set Availability Reviews with biz & users, and also IT Support Org
-- Establish Regular reviws
-- Design for Availability
-- Design for Recovery
-- Capacity Management

- Continuous Improvement
-- Establish Service Improvement Program
-- Establish CBA of Availabily Improvement Method
-- Identify ways to improve supporting processes, Incident Management, Problem Management and Config Management.

This plan is looking at about 10 months.
Ace-Server

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Availability Management Ideas... Reply with quote

Hi, with Availability Management there are two main aspects to consider...two worlds if you like...(a) Pro-active and (b) Re-active.

Most organisations focus in their production environements on (b) which usually consists of constant firefighting or trying to minimise the time taken to restore normal service in production (say, after a major incident).

Good practices here include:-
- SLA's for all IT functions to ensure that response and fix times meet business needs. Most don't.
- Empowering teams to "get service up" thereby protecting the level of availability
- "mopping up" after incidents by carrying out "post mortems" to look at:- what went wrong, why, underlying root cause, root cause elimination programme/initiative, tracking progress through to succesful conclusion.
- Establish a firm "post mortem" process that's inclusive and does not blame anyone or point the finger (people are put off and don't go again!)
- Make eliminating root cause(s) part of everyone's goals. Availability figures for uptime will soon increase!

As for (a) Pro-active Availability Management...well...if you can make the time through the effective use of the techniques outlined above, then you have more time to do (a) - remember "prevention is better than cure" and it's the same for availability.

Some ideas for (a)...

- Build availability in - from scratch - from the beginning of the project/new system inception or whatever it is you call it in your organisation.
- Gather true end-user requirements and vigorously protect them through-out the project lifecycle.
- Ensure that the user community know what it costs to provide such (typically) high levels of availability. Ensure that the sponsor in the project knows and is prepared to fund (and continue to fund) this level of expenditure.
- Design not just high systems availability - but high service availability. In many ways this is harder than systems availability! Anyone can buy "two of every box" and "fault resilient this and that" but have you ever bought a fault tolerant human?! We all are to some extent but seriously, to protect systems availability - you need highly available underpinning services. These can be services your business utilise every day, or perhaps internal IT services that support the production environment.

Availability is a constant battle. It costs money to do properly. It takes time to see the results (so measure and report on them frequently!)

Final thought...How much does 0.01% loss of availability cost your business area? If you don't know - you should find out. Sometimes the business doesn't need 99.999% but will be comfortable with 98.5% wqhen they see the incremental costs.

Good Luck!
slash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey wrote:
I am trying to identify key milestones for a MGPP plan for Availability Management as well.

I am thinking...

- Establish Measurement System & Agree on Targets
-- Monitoring Tools, Digital Dashboard (Topaz, SiteScope)
-- Define Mission Critical Systems and Applications
-- Baseline Performance Data
-- Agree on Targets

- Monitoring of Actual Availabiliy Vs Agreed Targets
-- Analyze Biz Process to IT Systems relationship
-- Escalation Process for Alerts
-- Establish Early warning alerts
-- RCA and Reporting Process
-- ReDefine Organization to fit needs of Availability Managmeent
----AKA, Assign an Availability Manager!

- Identify Unacceptable Levels of Availability that impact biz and User
-- SLA's
-- OLS's
-- Risk Analsys, Impact Analysis

- Set Availability Reviews with biz & users, and also IT Support Org
-- Establish Regular reviws
-- Design for Availability
-- Design for Recovery
-- Capacity Management

- Continuous Improvement
-- Establish Service Improvement Program
-- Establish CBA of Availabily Improvement Method
-- Identify ways to improve supporting processes, Incident Management, Problem Management and Config Management.

This plan is looking at about 10 months.

Harvey,

I have created an implementation plan with a similar schedule and task list, am now in the process of prioritizing the implementation activitivies. In my case, most of these activities (processes and sub-processes) have been implemented using the old OSI FCAPS model.

I am interested in knowing what your or anyone else's criteria for prioritization would be?

-Slash
sidewan1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Availability Management Reply with quote

Tania wrote:
Hi there,

I have been involved quite extensively in Availability Management planning and day-to-day activities, happy to assist you with any information you practicesmay need.

Regards,
Tania
Very Happy

Hi Tania,

I am handling in availability and capacity mangement for 2 yrs now,but i beleive there is more stress given to change and problem management.Can you share some of the best practices you have implemented?
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, that was 5 years ago. Don't hold your breath waiting for a response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: