Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MHolloman
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 148347

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 2
Total: 68 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Where does the purchasing department goes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where does the purchasing department goes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamsejon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Where does the purchasing department goes? Reply with quote

Hi!

We are implementing ITIL at our buisness. Today we have a centralized purchasing department for purchasing IT-products and software.

But where in the ITIL process does this department fit in?

What I can see, it will fit in in many processes.. Is ITIL really about reorganizing units? Isnt it more about changing the way we work?

I suspect that there is plans to don't have a centralized purchasing department because it does not fit in ITIL. But is that really so? I see big advantages with having a centralized purchase department when using ITIL.
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question....

I have never seen , so far, any formal indication on where purchasing stands in in ITIL. However, I can give you my 2 cents opinion:

Capacity Management : anything you buy via your purchasing department is aimed at providing capabilities to do somehing. The plan for acquisitions of Hardware, software , services or even human ressources should be based on your Capacity Plan which embraces both needs from new projetcs and needs fro evolution of solutions in place.

There might be as many good reasons to put in somewhere else , though.

rgds.
bamsejon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'nst that quite strange? That purchasing is not described more in ITIL? Or is it just me taht seems to believe that a centralized purchasing has a big impact for the IT-department?

It does have a great impact for you expences, when centralizing you get better prizes, you categorize your products so they will be avaiable to your customers, testing has to be performed before purchased, and it is a good control tool to use in strategic measurments and deployments.
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are other important aspects that are not really described (at least in ITSM, but I am not sure they are better described in the other books...) : what about Human Resources ? It is as important to have a fair and global policy to be able to attract, retain and develop people...

anybody knows where to find some ITIL spécifications on those activities?
bamsejon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpgilles wrote:
Well there are other important aspects that are not really described (at least in ITSM, but I am not sure they are better described in the other books...) : what about Human Resources ? It is as important to have a fair and global policy to be able to attract, retain and develop people...

anybody knows where to find some ITIL spécifications on those activities?

yes, ofcourse, my point is that I think that purchasing is an important and strategic recource in an IT-department. I'm a little bit surprised that ITIL does not explain more through about purchasing.. But maybe it is me that only can se my work as important, and not the whole spectra.
Cekir
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamsejon,

You are talking about IT Asset Management. Purchasing issues are part of it.
In ITIL you can find only Software Asset Management. It is covered in the book of the same title (Software Asset Management). It claims that Hardware Asset Management issues are covered by it.

If you however look for more complex ITAM best practices, you should check the set of best practices prepared by IAITAM - organization of ITAM practitioners. You can find them on IAITAM org site.
bamsejon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your time!

It is both hardware, software and services, Actually most things that deliver an invoice from an IT-department..

I check Iatam up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: